35 hp Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VBTravisD

Reaction score
My brother has a 1976 35 hp evinrude... nice motor, real clean. Bought it off craigslist for a song and a dance. New impeller, starter, coils, rebuilt carb... Guy said he spent the money, got it running and then all of a sudden lost spark.

I took the cowl off and noticed a few wires were frayed. I taped them up. I am thinking I should go ahead and replace them. Also a few connections are corroded a bit. I wire brushed those. I pulled the top plug and held it close to the case while he turned the key and I got a spark to jump. I pulled the lower plug and did the same... not any noticeable spark. I think I might swap the coils, there is a chance that the coil on the bad cylinder is malfunctioning... but after that... then what? Like I said, I am going to replace those wires too... hopefully that will help?

coil would be the first thing I looked at. It could also the the points on top of the engine. Coil is easy to replace the points require special tools.

They are brand new coils installed, I replaced a frayed wire and I dont think I am getting any spark still. I guess I should look at points next?

The only special tools you need to set the points is a steering wheel puller to get the flywheel off.Most auto stores have them to use.I would put new points & condensers in.Gap points at .020.

I just replaced points and condensers on my 15 hp tiller motor a few weeks ago. Like you guys said, puller and go. Once the flywheel was off it isnt bad.

Points are easy once you get to them, but one other thing to consider. Have you tried swapping plugs? I got a new set of plugs not long ago and 3 of the 6 I bought were bad out of the box, something internal was wrong.

Bufford

I did try some new plugs, but there is a chance they could be the wrong ones (that is a whole other parts buying story involving a mouth breather who had trouble reading a computer screen). I did get the flywheel off, noticed the key was the same shape as the crank... so I will have to replace that. I dont think it was the cause though, because I pulled a plug and turned the motor over and would get spray out of the hole. Which tells me the crank was spinning. I did however find that the black ground wire to the magneto(?) was all corroded up at the connector and the wires insulation had split and the strands were all green and powdery. I replaced that and put most everything back together. The points look in great condition and the gap was good. I can't just get that flywheel key anywhere can i? Order online?

VBTravisD said:
I did try some new plugs, but there is a chance they could be the wrong ones (that is a whole other parts buying story involving a mouth breather who had trouble reading a computer screen). I did get the flywheel off, noticed the key was the same shape as the crank... so I will have to replace that. I dont think it was the cause though, because I pulled a plug and turned the motor over and would get spray out of the hole. Which tells me the crank was spinning. I did however find that the black ground wire to the magneto(?) was all corroded up at the connector and the wires insulation had split and the strands were all green and powdery. I replaced that and put most everything back together. The points look in great condition and the gap was good. I can't just get that flywheel key anywhere can i? Order online?

Try I-boats to see if you can find it.

That flywheel key isn't nothing special.You should be able to get at any small engine repair shop.Bring the old key to match up.

The flywheel key is still available through any Johnson/Evinrude dealer. A good dealer would probably have one in stock. Would change out the condensors at this point since you already know how to remove the flywheel now. Note that when you tighten down the wires from the condensor to the points plate that you can change the points setting by pushing with the screwdriver while tightening so re-check your gap on the points. Second, on an engine that old that has probably seen alot of usage you would do well to check the delrin ring that holds your mag plate on center(the plate that holds your points, coils, etc.) Grab that plate with the flywheel off and see if you can slide or move it side to side or rock it easily. Much play there can and will make an engine run poorly at idle and create a misfire by migrating side to side and continually changing the points setting. One that is really worn out can kill a cylinder. The delrin ring is also available through any Johnson/Evinrude dealer.

Latest posts