1976 Mercury 200 20HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tettle07

Reaction score
ok guys I just bought (in May) this motor on CG for $100, sticking it on the back of my 1436 john.... its kinda scary fast, but I stay out of full throttle... When I bought it the previous owner said it had a new starter that only worked 4 or 5 times then quit working.... for $100 I grabbed the motor and ran. When I got home and started looking at the motor, I noticed that the bolt hole where the bolt that boltst he starter to the block was broken! Chit!.... I made a bracket that relocates the load from the mount bolt and now the starter is solid. problem solved... or so I thought

Now onto the real couple of questions I have. Who ever re-wired the starter button and starter used 2 gauge battery wire to run from the battery to the starter/starter solenoid. Question #1: Is that too big of a gauge and will it affect the performance of the starter in any way (the motor came with 8 gauge wire originally)? The starter solenoid looks like one that was bought at autozone for an old chevy. Question #2: Is there a specific marine starting solenoid I need for the motor, or will that one work just fine (I'm kinda under the impression it works or it doesn't, but who kows)? Sometime the starter works perfectly and starts the motor no problem (prob done that 6 or 7 times). Most of the time it doesn't seem to spin the flywheel fast enough for the motor to crank, almost like it is lacking power. Question #3: Do you think the starter is bad, is it not working properly resulting from questions #1 & #2, and/or is there a way to test out the starter? Question #4: I have a 60 amp sealed starter button, I assume that is more than adequate to start the motor, but could that be a problem as well? Lst question, the starter seems to heat up when I try to crank the motor for a while. I know that some heat is expected, but are marine starters like car starters where they do heat up (I am really asking if this is a sign the starter is bad)?

Thanks in advance for any advice. These derned outboards always seem to trip me up.

It is normal for the starter to get warm after long cranking or quick repeated attempts.

1. Put the proper starter on it, yes it may cost a little more than the autozone one but you are going to want the right part for the right job. Verify the solenoid is correct also, if not replace it.

2. Put the proper wire on it, again, the right part....

You may find you have a way wrong starter, it may require one with internal gear reduction that will give more cranking torque than the auto one can provide.

Bufford