Old 3 HP Enough?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just registered and this is my first post. I think this site is going to be plenty helpful come spring when my project starts.

So here's my deal. I've got a 14 aluminum v-hull, nothing fancy, pretty basic. I also have a old 3hp motor that I got from my grandpa. It's a "Sea King 3" and from what I can tell probably from the late 50's, maybe 57. My grandpa took pretty good care of it and when I had it out for the first time this last fall it pushed the boat around pretty well, even with 350 pounds of human and probably 120 pounds of gear.

However, I plan on fixing my boat up this spring and I'm wondering if you guys think the little 3 hp Sea King is going to cut the mustard. I don't need to be flying across the water, but I don't want to be bored to tears cruising down a mile of shoreline either. From what I can tell my 14' aluminum right now probably weighs 300 pounds (but that's a total guess), and I want to fix it up in a very similar way to what Victor Coar did here..

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3389

What do you think the final weight on his boat was? Do you think a 3 hp would even be worth it? If not, I'm probably going to try to get a used one now while prices are down at the end of the season. Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Here's a picture very close to the outboard I have.
seaking.jpg

Thanks you guys!

ps: I'll be posting pictures and progress in the spring, but more questions will be coming before then.

Welcome!
thanks for joining

Keep the motor because it will work and because your grandpa gave it to you. If you can score a bigger motor for cheap money than do it. The extra speed on a heavy boat is worth it.

Unless you have the funds to upgrade then keep the 3 hp - and keep looking for a 15 hp.

A used 15 hp 4 stroke is gonna run you around $1,000.00

What a great looking old vintage 3hp! Is that the single cylinder or a twin? I have one in equally good condition in a single cylinder configuration but is a red and cream color scheme.
If you keep it remember to keep tabs on the lower unit lube after every couple trips to make sure it is not sucking water. A water pump impeller should also be sourced and installed. That old one may not last too long after weathering many years of non-usage. Do not be surprised if the original coils fail also. They should be replaced.
I occasionally run one of my 3's (I have 5 now) on a Grumman Sport boat I have and love it. Slow enough to troll a lure while you are getting to where you want to go and slow enough to see more as you get there. A buddy of mine and myself took my Grumman with a 3 up Arbuckle Creek in Highlands county Fl. and ran two gallons of fuel through it looking at turkeys, hogs, and over 20 gators along the way. Amazing how close you can get when you are moving slowly and quietly. Thart creek has many shallow parts in it that are not over 6 inches deep. The little engine gets over them easily. As others have said, keep on the look out for a higher horsepower engine but keep that one in pristine condition in the meantime as it is a real classic! Those vintage engines are wonderful and don't be surprised if you end up with more of them.
If you need parts go to the AOMCi.org site (antique outboard) and go to the Ask-a-member section and you should be able to find what you need.

I have a 3.5hp on my 12' Mirrocraft....runs good, gets 5mph on the GPS....not fast, but moves steady and handles high winds pretty good too.....but I want a bit bigger...my fave and closest lake is 6mi long and that is an hour of motoring to get to the other side.....

I have an old 6 HP Chrysler 2 blade that just barely got my 14' starcraft on plane. I didn't have a GPS back then to check the speed. I know my brother got a 2.5 HP Nissan 4 stroke on a 12 footer and he does maybe 3 or 4 mph.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I will keep it and just keep an eye out for something a little bit bigger. I should probably get it tuned up too. I don't know the first thing about outboards, so maybe dropping it off someplace to get looked at would be a good idea.

Good luck on just dropping it off somewhere. As I said in the earlier post, get in touch with the guys over in the antique outboard forum at AOMCI.org and post a question in the ask a member section. Chances are you will find someone near you that would be more than happy to take a look at servicing it with you. See if one of the members will look up someone in your area. In the meantime, while you are running it keep a close eye on the water flow exiting the engine and also the lube in the gearcase. Old impellers, coils, and seals never pick an opportune time to go out!

The problem I don't think I'll have it running before spring. I live in an apartment and the motor is at my parents' house in the basement. I suppose I could go back there and run it in a barrel of water...

Also, another thing that I just remembered. When I moved it down to the basement I noticed grease all down the shaft. Not a lot by any means, but enough to strike me as odd. Could there potentially be a leak somewhere?

And thanks again for the info, I'll look up one of those outboard guys and see if I can find someone in my area.

The "grease" is normal. That's unburned fuel and oil. The old engines didn't seal very well back then. I have several oldies that do that. You need to be mixing at recommended fuel/oil ratios that are written on the engine by the way, nothing less and certainly not at 50:1 ratio - that will kill that old engine. If you are not sure about the correct fuel/oil ratio I urge you once again to visit the website I mentioned earlier.

Latest posts