Muffs for a 1968 Rude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadCatX

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

do they make muffs to go on a 1968 Rude? I am pretty sure i know where the water intakes are but i was wondering because the lower unit where holes are seem really close to the bottom fin.

MadCatX said:
Hey Gang,

do they make muffs to go on a 1968 Rude? I am pretty sure i know where the water intakes are but i was wondering because the lower unit where holes are seem really close to the bottom fin.

No, you should run it in a trash can, and make sure the water level is at least a few inches above the water pump. Some folks cheat and run it with muffs, but I wouldn't do it on my motor.

I have 2 different types of "Muffs" that run my motors off of a hose. One is basicall a plastic coated metal rod bent in a v shape with 2 rubber cups that cover the intake of the motor. The hose actually connects to one of the cups.

The other is 2 thin metal plates that have holes on each end that bolt together. remove a bolt from one end and seperate the plates to fit over the intake holes and snug the bolt to hold firm. One plate has a threaded hose attachment to connect the hose two with slots in the plate where the hose connects. I just make sure the slots are covering the intake holes. Both work great and both seem to be universal and would seem to work on any outboard. I will admit to not knowing specifically where the intake is on a "1968 Rude".

I only run the motors on the Muffs for short periods of time maybe 5 - 10 minutes at most.......
I have no need to run them for longer times. And never with out a good flow out the pee hole....

Outdoorsman

It would help to know what horsepower the engine is for starters...........Most of the smaller engines took the water in from the forward side of the exhaust outlet behind the propeller and as far as I know there is not a current manufacturer for that style. If the water pick-ups are on the side of the gearcase above the bullet then current muffs will work. Can be purchased from Wallyworld, etc.

Captain - that was awesome lol -

18hp sorry about that - i came across a plastic barrell.

We just want to try to make it fire up :D

I just got a 1969 9.5 Evinrude and have been reading up on it for the last 3 days.Muffs at idle are ok.But on that motor you would spend some time finding a pair that fit with only having maybe an inch of area for the water to get in above the cavitation plate..You would have to cut on side and I don't think it would work out too good.Trash can or 5 gal bucket is just too easy of a fix.

Latest posts