I could use some advice.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharaoh2

Reaction score
I plan on buying a gas motor for my 12 foot aluminum vee boat in the next couple of weeks. I am considering 1 of 3 motors. A Honda 2hp, a Mercury 2.5hp or a Mercury 3.5hp. Their all about the same money and I don't want to fly so a small gasser will do me well. Any advice on which of the 3 will provide the best economy, least amount of noise and vibration but will provide the most longevity with least amount of maintanence? Thanks all.

You won't notice a dime's worth of difference in performance. I would think you're looking for a dependable mechanical means to get from point A to point B and back. If I were you, I'd choose the motor which is in better condition than the others and if you're still having trouble deciding, look at other motors. The best method I have found in making such a determination, particularly with used boats and motors, is the familiarity of its owner with boats. Those most familiar understand the expense and inconvenience if not maintained as they should be and will go to the effort to do so. Find out the real reason why he is offering the motor for sale? No one wants someone else's headaches and you can find that frequently in used boats.

What year are these motors? I would be looking for the 9.9/10 hp motors.

Thanks all. The motors are new in the showrooms. I don't want or need anything more than these motors. 9.9 is too fast for the lakes I fish. The truth is I'm as happy as a clam with only an electric motor, it has served me well. The only reason I want a gas motor is for just a bit more power to get me back to shore when the winds pick up. There have been a few instances where I was running low on juice in my battery and trying to buck 60 kph winds.

I have an OLD 3.5 that I used once on my 16foot decked and heavy tinny. It would move me, but not very fast - 3mph max. I'm always a fan of more HP - like 7.5 for your size boat.

Without that as an option, since the total weight will be neglible between models, as will the noticable HP - I'd go with the one I felt was better built (ie less plastic parts). I saw a small hp motor the other day and I swear it had a plastic prop on it. Personally, I want some kind of metal prop. I'd also wand one with metal/adjustable carbs (provided it still uses carbs). Since these are small, I assume they are 2cycle, so that should be good. All these being equal, the 3.5 wins out.

Those motors should all be pretty good on reliability, just keep up on yearly services and any of them woudl last you for years.

I have to say though, those are small.

Bufford

I would go for the 3.5, it wouldn't hurt. My buddy's dad had a 3hp Johnson that he had on his flat back sportapal. We could cross a small lake un under 10 minutes, there not fast but they move water and thats the goal.

I also have a 12'(show us a picture if you haven't already :p) and am looking for a 8hp or 9.9hp.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before the next couple of days. The Honda is probably out. It seems everytime I call a Honda dealership the price keeps going up!

12_Tinner said:
I also have a 12'(show us a picture if you haven't already :p)

I call her Fishstick. :p

Newpics_0177.jpg

Newpics_0249.jpg

Latest posts