Trolling Motor question for 14x52

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Willy

Reaction score
Hello Forum.
I'm new to the site. I just got a 14 x 52 jon boat and i'm looking forward to converting her. I was wondering, What would be the smallest size trolling motor you would go with for front mount' trolling while fishing.. I have not set a budget for my project however I don't want to buy a 70lb motor if a 40lb motor will give me good performance.

Thanks
Willy

Get as much as you can afford... I have a 71lb on the bow of mine, and it will stay running at top speed all day long (24 volt motor). The biggest advantage I've found with this (over the 40lb I had), is that if it's really windy and I'm fishing into the wind, I can put it on a speed of one and keep it running all day long with no problem.

Personally, with the size boat you have, I wouldn't go less than a 55lb. If you can notch up to a 24v, I think you'd be a lot happier. You get a lot more power with a 24v, and your motor doesn't work half as hard to keep you a constant speed.

Latest posts