20HP vs 25HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retiredff

Reaction score
I've got a 1448 polar kraft jon that has a max HP rating of 25. I've been looking locally and on the web since September and have not found any "deals". I have found 2 20HP motors locally that will work fine, however I've read here you should always buy max HP for a boat. How much performance will I loose with a 20HP vs a 25? I normally fish alone, but at times my cousin/brother/son join me. We are in the 175# range each plus gear.

Thanks

Tony

In some of the areas I fish, 20 HP. is the max allowed. They used to be 10HP max areas, but most have been raised to 20 HP. Mostly to keep the water skiers and personal water craft users out of the fishing areas. I've seen 28 ft pontoon boats with 10 hp motors on them. You still see a lot of 10 hp motors on 14,and 16 foot boats. You will not have a problem with a 20 on your boat.

I plan to up grade to a 20 when funds allow.I have a 1468 Polar Kraft. Todd

I bet that you would barely notice the difference.
Especially if you are not loading the boat to capacity.

Growing up, my dad's 16ft V bottom had a 20 hp for years.
He upgraded from the 20hp Johnson to a much newer 25hp Evinrude.....There was virtually no difference.

FWIW the boat was underpowered with both, so maybe that is why there was little difference.

Id go for the 25. Sometimes a 20 is just a beefed up 9.9 or 15, while most 25's are scaled down 30's or 35's. They seem to be better under a load. I have a 25hp Evinrude on my 1448. The big difference with a 25 is when you are under a heavy load, it doesnt really reduce your speed or ability to get on a plane. I run 31mph by myself and 28mph with another person. I had a 18hp tohatsu that ran really strong, but a heavy load bogged it down. I ran 28mph by myself, but with another person in the boat it cut me down to 21mph.

Ive had a 9.9, 15, 18, and 25hp motor on my 1448. I am by far the happiest with the 25. Its fast when you need it, but more importantly it has the power to plane it out easily when you have 2 or 3 people in the boat.

And if you ever get that itch for a couple more mph, most 25's can be tuned up to 30's. :)

Dont buy something youll regret. I bought my 18 and 2 weeks after I got it I was wishing I woulda got a 25.

Thanks for the info guys. I found a 20 merc and a 25 johnson, electric start and short shaft. The merc is $1100, the Johnson is $900. I will buy one of them, will drive to the dealer the first of next week. He offers a 60 warranty and will do a spring tuneup for free as both have been winterized.

Tony

If you can, ask him to let you try them out. The economy sucks and I bet he needs to make a sell, especially here in the slow months. If you go down there with cash and tell him you are gonna buy one of the motors, he'll do what it takes to make the sell.

nathanielrthomas,

That would be nice if I could try one out but, I'm in Indiana and the water is frozen! I think he told me that was part of the warranty, I could return it if I wasn't happy. I will try to dicker with him though.

thanks for the reply

Tony

If you're not fishing a HP restricted area, I'd buy the 25 HP Johnson.It's less expensive and you get the extra 5 HP. I have a 25 Hp Evinrude and would be running it if Pa didn't have the restrictions.

Indiana has restricted 9.9HP lakes also but none that I really want to fish. My plan is to fish the large unrestricted lakes until the "pleasure" boaters show, then fish the electric only lakes and rivers. In the fall, return to the large lakes. I thought of buying a 9.9 and use it for all lakes, but I put a 7.5 on my boat as a test and all it did w/2 adults was plow, nothing near plane. I decided a 25 was the best choice. Maybe at some point if the $$$$ allow I may buy a 9.9 if I find a deal I can't turn down.

I'm leaning toward the Johnson even though the Merc is newer. After the first of the year my cousin and I will drive to this place and make a decision then. After that, it will be a waiting game until mother nature decides it's time for spring.

Try a 9.9 if you get a chance. Most are under rated 15s. Your 7.5 may have been a cranked up 5.

I will partsman. I have a bud that has an old 9.5 that he offered to let me try, but my understanding there is a huge difference between a 9.5 and 9.9. Something to do with the way the HP rating is calculated. Later this summer I will look for a 9.9 to use in the fall, so I will have 2 motors for any type of lake I want to fish. =P~

Both should be easy for me to remove from the boat as they are light.

Does anyone know if the bolt pattern is the same on a 9.9 and 25? [-o<
I'm not sure if I want to drill extra holes in my transom.

Yes most 9.5s were older motors that were rated at the flywheel.
Later 9.9s are rated at the prop. They also have ore low end torque because of the bigger displacement.

Most 9.9s are clamp on. You shouldn't need to drill holes to try one.

I don't know about the 20hp Mercury you are looking at but I am looking at a 20hp Johnson that has the same power head as a 25,30, and 35hp of the same year.

thanks PartsMan, my cousin w/7.5 says he is selling it and wants a 9.9. We usually fish together, so it may work out great.

Nice to know the 9.9 don't require bolts. That makes it an easy decision.

What would it take to increase the HP of a johnson 20 to 25 or 25 to 30?

retiredff said:
What would it take to increase the HP of a johnson 20 to 25 or 25 to 30?

The 25 was a simple carb and intake. The 35 had a different head and lower unit.
I can't remember for sure on the 30. It may have the 35 head too.
I just went to the Evinrude parts site and compared part numbers.

Heard the 20 is much stronger than the old 18s.

I would go with the 25. The thought of maxing out to max rated HP is based sound ideas...max speed, max power, minimal time to get on plane, etc., and besides...it just seems more of a "man thing"... 8)

Frozen lake...lines in the snow are from snowmobiles...

Outdoorsman

Attachments

• Sunrise.jpg
    Sunrise.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 940

Latest posts