Stop Switch Assembly for 94 Rude 9.9

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbg1998

Reaction score
Hey!
First off I have to say awesome site!
I have a 12 foot gamefisher I inherited from my grandfather.
Over the last few years I've customized it with a casting deck, bow mount trolling motor ect.

Today I bought a 1994 Evinrude 9.9 for it.

Everything works fine except for the red kill button on the tiller. Does anyone know where I could get one cheap? I don't like having to choke the motor to shut it off!

Thanks!

It is part number 16 on this diagram!

https://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=c5a525gk695n8kqrj2554a29f2&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

You can buy a common button type kill switch and mount it on the front lower pan area. Those are cheap. Just reroute the wires to the switch. You won't be able to connect the lanyard for a man over board switch but earlier motors never had them.
I would remove that switch assembly and try and take it apart and if you can maybe you can clean the contacts and make it work again.

I would do a test on the kill switch to make sure it isn't a broken wire or loose connection.You can get an after market kill switch with the lanyard.

I had the same problem with my '92 25hp Rude. I took the switch apart, lubed it up with some wd-40 and got all the parts moving again. It turned out the problem was the clip that attches to the lanyard that holds the button up, it was dryrotted and became stiff over the years. I didnt even realize how stiff it was until I seen a new lanyard and clip at the local johnnyrude shop. I bought a new lanyard and clip for $8 and now it works like new. Post some pics if you can so I can see if there is a similar setup on your '94 9.9 -Nate

Latest posts