Really, really bad discovery today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRS62

Reaction score
I took my cover off today to fill the motor with oil and discovered this. It appears as if there was a small fire under the cowl. (It's a 2003 Merc 50hp 2 stroke.) I have no idea if this was a random problem and happened the last time I went out or caused by the on-board charger. It looks like it started at the voltage regulator.

The last time I went out in the boat, the main battery died when we were at our duck hunting spot. I went to start it up and it would only crank over a few times. (I hadn't charged the battery fully, but it started fine in the morning and expected it to charge enough on the boat ride out.) To get home, I moved the trolling motor battery back to use it. When I cranked it, the battery sparked and smoked a little at the terminals. I thought the spark might have come from loose connection, but the terminals seemed tight, so I disconnected the accessory wires from the battery just in case. I only had the motor wires connected. It started fine and ran perfectly for the 30 minute boat ride home. Tilt worked fine.

One thought is that I crossed wired it somehow, but I really doubt it. The wires are positioned where it would be hard to do. It didn't spark until I cranked it.

At no point did I ever smell anything in the garage. I was thinking that if there was a charger issue, it would have caused a smell in the garage.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I am obviously concerned that this is going to be a huge bill. I suspect 90% if the wiring in the motor will need to be replaced, the voltage regulator and rev limiter at a minimum.

I plan to take it in tomorrow, but please let me know if you have seen this before and what it took to fix it.

thanks!

KRS

Attachments

• IMG_9275.JPG
    IMG_9275.JPG
    231.5 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_9277.JPG
    IMG_9277.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_9278.JPG
    IMG_9278.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_9280.JPG
    IMG_9280.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_9283.JPG
    IMG_9283.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 803
My brother had a similar problem with a 50hp Evinrude.....Luckily his insurance covered it, so if you were insured I would check with them.

I don't have insurance on this boat, but maybe I should look into it again? (I had it on my last boat.) I felt that my current boat is probably "not worth" covering. If it would have covered something like this, then I guess it would be!

KRS

Semi-update: I need to head down to the shop and speak to the mechanic to get the full story, but he called with an estimate. For a complete repair (like it never happened) I am looking at $940. He said that if I can live with some parts that just have visual damage, I could save some $$. I will find out tomorrow. I might fix it right so that it will be right if I ever want to sell it.

KRS62 said:
Semi-update: I need to head down to the shop and speak to the mechanic to get the full story, but he called with an estimate. For a complete repair (like it never happened) I am looking at $940. He said that if I can live with some parts that just have visual damage, I could save some $$. I will find out tomorrow. I might fix it right so that it will be right if I ever want to sell it.

If it were me, I would fix it right. I would not want to risk it breaking down if I didn't have to. I would treat a boat motor the same as I would treat an aircraft powerplant.