2005 Mercury

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gajet31

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Mercury 50 ELTPO outboard. It is a 2 stroke, 3 cylinder, and max rpm's is 5500. It has low hours and has been maintained well since it was purchased. I have a few observations and I want to see what the board thinks. I do not think there is anything wrong, I just want some input from experts.

1. My motor cranks like a dream. I choke the motor, and lift the idle bar, and it will crank within 15 seconds. However, when I have it cranked, it has a very low idle, and sounds as though it is going to die. Even after it has warmed up for 10 minutes, it still coughs and ranges from a normal even idle, to a low cough. To add to this, it also makes a backfiring noise. I am not sure if that is the correct diagnoses, but it makes a banging noise. Opinions?

2. The engine makes a knocking noise when I put it in gear. It makes this knocking noise anywhere between beginning throttle and 3/4 throttle. Once I go to WOT, the noise stops. The knocking is quiet and not really fast, just a slow knock, knock, knock. (Wow, its hard to diagnose problems through words!)

Additional info, I recently had to replace the electronic rev limiter. I bought a new one, installed it, and the problem still exists. I am now being sent a new one to try. I have always kept the engine well oiled, and I have had no actual problems, other than the rev limiter. I appreciate all thoughts and opinions. And if anyone has this exact motor, I would love to talk in depths about the inner workings.

My dad had what sounds like the same problem on his pontoon boat. It would start up and run but it had an ugly misfire. The marina cleaned out the carbs. told him it was a problem caused by the ethynol in the gas runs great now.

I have the same motor, but a 2003. When I got it a few years ago, it would idle "okay" but about every 30 seconds it would sorta backfire. It basically made a "chunk" sound and then return to normal idle. Perhaps that is what you are describing? I also had some minor, yet irritating bogging when trying to get up on plane. After 2 attempts, my local Mercury dealer fixed it with some carburetor adjustments. It runs like a top! Unless you are good with carbs, I would recommend taking it in. I wished I had done it sooner.

For my motor (and maybe yours?) you can run it without a rev limiter. See my post below of why I thought that I needed a new one! Mechanic said that I didn't need to put another one in if I didn't want to.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16945

KRS

KRS62 said:
I have the same motor, but a 2003. When I got it a few years ago, it would idle "okay" but about every 30 seconds it would sorta backfire. It basically made a "chunk" sound and then return to normal idle. Perhaps that is what you are describing? I also had some minor, yet irritating bogging when trying to get up on plane. After 2 attempts, my local Mercury dealer fixed it with some carburetor adjustments. It runs like a top! Unless you are good with carbs, I would recommend taking it in. I wished I had done it sooner.

KRS

That's exactly the prob my dads had, very annoying must be genetic.

Latest posts