Army outboard?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassGeek54

Reaction score
Can any of you guys give me some guidance on this? The following ad is on Craigslist locally:

For Sale- 25 hp motor. This motor was built in the mid 1960’s for the Army. The motor is built for a 26 inch transom. These motors are very powerful. The motor uses standard Evinrude-Johnson parts in the power head and the lower unit. This motor would be great for a collector, or for moving heavy loads. The motor for sale is identical to the one pictured below. The motor for sale is in an olive drab crate that measures approximately 5ft x 3ft x 3ft. The crate also includes a spare parts kit for the motor and a fuel tank. The motor for sale looks as though it has never been run. I have had two other of these motors and both of them have started right up so I assume this one will as well.

I have a 16 foot Grizley Tracker that takes a long shaft motor (I have no motor at this time) - do you think this will work? The price is pretty low and it is local so there is no shipping but is this really worth considering? He says it is in a box so of course I will have it taken out before any money changes hands but what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Worth checking out sounds like....

The military thing is possible.

I suspect that's what the Mercury multi fuel outboards were built for.....They run on gasolene, kerosene, diesel, av gas, etc.

Thanks LonLB. They are asking $350 for this one and the ONLY thing I know about outboards at this point is that they are pretty expensive...so this seems really cheap.

I came across one of those army motors too, a 25hp long shaft. This one was a '53, but I wanted a '55+, because of the improvements and the design was more stable then. I think you should be fine with a 60s motor. In fact, I had a '62 28hp johnny for a while, but it needed more work than I wanted to put into it.

The only thing that you might have issues with is the shaft length. 26" is very long. That is an extra long shaft motor.
If you measure your boat transom its probably 20".
$350 for that motor is cheap and I suspect its probably worth quite a bit more then that.

Guys -- thank you so much for the advise. Someone else must have known it was a deal too. I got tied up at work and when I went back to give the guy a call it was gone. :x

Latest posts