Gas vs battery powered

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassChasin

Reaction score
Ok guys I dont really know much about gas powered motors.Heres my question I have a 85 8 horse johnson motor for my 14 foot semi v 48 wide.I have been kicking around the idea of getting rid of the 8 horse for maybe a 50 lb thrust trolling motor would I see a big difference in speed or power doing this? It just seems like a hassle maintaining a gas motor where a trolling motor seems pretty maint. free what is the opinions on this?

Huge Difference Apples to oranges
the gas motor will get you in the ball park of 8 to 10 mph while the 50lb thrust may hit 1mph with the wind at your back.
With a gas motor you can navigate more of the water that you want to fish and cover the distance in a hurry.
If you are planning on fishing with lures casting at structure you will at some point want to get a trolling motor. but i wouldn't give up the gas motor in exchange

Wow that is a pretty big difference I had no idea is was that big of a deal.which brings me to think maybe I'll keep the 8hp and maybe I can go with a smaller trolling motor don't think I need a 50 lb to troll around

BassChasin said:
Wow that is a pretty big difference I had no idea is was that big of a deal.which brings me to think maybe I'll keep the 8hp and maybe I can go with a smaller trolling motor don't think I need a 50 lb to troll around
My view on trolling motors is get the biggest you can afford.
in this case a smaller one wouldn't be that bad. the thing to think about is if you fish any electric only lakes then the 55lb thrust would be worth it.

Latest posts