Newbie outboard selection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this website, and I just want to say that it is amazing. I have a basstender 10.6 with a minn kota 55 maxxum and it is time to upgrade to a 15hp 2 stroke motor. I am considering either a 1997-2005 johnson/evinrude 15hp or a 1997- 2004 mercury 15hp.
Does anyone have expirence or know anything about these because I have a few questions....
1. What is the maximum price I should pay for one of these?
2. Are parts easily available?
3. Has anyone ever had problems with one?
4. Should I expect the same preformance from both, or is one more powerful?
Thanks!

welcome to the site.
It would be easier to answer the price question if we had an idea of what part of the country you are from
prices and availability well be determined by location.
both should be durable and perform well
parts should be readily available for those motors

Is that boat even rated for a 15hp? That seems like an awful lot of motor for that boat.
Your probably looking at spending $1K-$1200+ for a nice clean motor from those years.
That new of motor I would go with the Mercury. OMC was just about bankrupt in the early 2000's and their quality control wasn't the best. Mercury's were generally faster then JohnnyRudes but that might not be the case for those years you mentioned.
I like the 80's to early 90's OMC motors better then anything else. They are mainly made of metal versus a lot of plastic parts plus parts are easy to get and are cheaper then the later years. They also run forever if taken care of.

Yes, I agree that those 80-90's johny rudes were amazing but expensive to buy used now. thanks for they reply. I just was considering the johnson/evinrude because i liked the shifter seprate from the throttle

ohhh, and yes the boat is rated for 15hp. It is a massive boat for that size (230 pounds) so i am looking for a lot of power to push me around.

I dont know if you would really want to have a 15 hp on a 10.6. I looked at some pictures of that kind of boat and just seems like you will plane way to high to use the motor to its fullest. 9.9 hp might work well for you in my opinion. I use a 7.5 HP currently for lakes on my 16 v hull bass tracker boat and it moves it fairly well and i know my boat is much heavier.

I wouldn't limit myself to any year IMO.....Say from about 75' on up would be fair game. Anything running well, that you can hear run, and that they will let you take a compression check on would be an option.

Prices can vary greatly. I've seen running engines like that sell for $300-2000K. Depends on the year, and most importantly on the person selling.

I use Search Tempest to search craigslist. Lets you search multiple cities at once.

Thanks, I was just looking for a johnson/evinrude from 1993 and up. Although the 1974-1992 models are great, I would rather have something newer because those year 1974-1992 johny rudes are pricy for their age.