impeller kit question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansasnative

Reaction score
Hey everybody! Haven't posted in a while but I've been lurking around lately since getting the itch to go fishing. I've been going thru all my gear and remembered a problem I found last year. I bought a 9.9 johnson late last year and the first time on the water I realized it wasn't spraying water. So today I checked the hose for clogs and it was fine so my next guess is the impeller. I started pricing kits and noticed there's kits witha ton of pieces for around 60 or 70 bucks and then there's kits with the rubber impeller and a plate for like 15 or 20. What all do I need the kit to include if im just wanting to fix my problem?

thanks for the input guys... unfortunately while i was taking the 6 bolts out of the lower unit to drop it down i realized the rear bolt on the starboard side was stripped. So, if anyone has any ideas on how to get that out feel free to answer that too! i would use my bolt extractor but there's no room due to the cav. plate...

Are you talking about the bolt head rounding off? If so there are several new tools made to work on damaged bolt heads. Or good old vice grips.

yes the bolt head is rounded. this was apparently already like this and i just finished off the rounding process. ive tried to grab it with vice grips and only made it worse. the bolt is recessed into the lower unit so its impossible to get a good grip on it with anything. i cant even put a socket wrench on it straight because the lower unit gets in the way. i have a bolt extractor aka EZ out that i used on my truck but im afraid i wont be able to drill a straight enough hole on the top of the bolt head because of the lower unit.

im also scared of trying to cut it off with a dremel because its recessed and i dont want to grind up the sides of my motor trying to reach the bolt.

Take the motor off the boat and stand it on its head. Strap it to something so it doesn't move and drill a hole in the middle down to the threads and keep stepping up the size of the bit until you've drilled the head off. A unibit might work good since their short and will step up in size automatically but you will probably need to use a regular bit to get the first hole drilled.
Then as suggested drop the lower unit and remove with vise grips.
If you use left handed drill bits then the bolt might unloosen and come out while your trying to drill the head off.

Sounds like all you can do at this point is to further round the bolt to the point the lower unit can be removed. If the bolt is not easily removed at that point then utilize oxy/acetlyene or at least MaPP gas to heat the area around the bolt to remove it. Heat to the point the paint is burned away from the area. If you end up drilling it out use the highest quality drill bits you can purchase (Cobalt is a good start) as the stainless bolt will work harden ahead of the drill bit and ruin many ordinary bits and your patience during the process. Drill slow, straight and with alot of pressure.
As far as the water pump goes, look at the upper wear plate and the lower wear plate, if these are grooved at all then replace the complete pump.

Latest posts