Mercury Optimax

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elvis

Reaction score
I got a option to buy a 90hp optimax. motor has been completely rebuilt. it is 5 years old. Let me hear the opinions of the one's who have BOUGHT rebuilt outboards and used them. would they do it again ? why and Why not?

my 1st question would be WHY would a 5 yr old motor need rebuilding. Sounds like there is the potential for more problems/issues down the road unless you get a decent warranty with it. Granted, things do just break for no reason, but most of the time, it happens during the initial warranty period.

I Had a 225 OPTIPOP back in 2000, It blew twice on me under warranty, I would steer clear of OPTImaxs and maybe look into a EFI Model....I Know on the earlier Optipops they tried to run them TOO lean......

If a two stroke goes bad, it's because it went lean.....Just to be safe, I wouldn't buy it, unless it was rebuilt and then actually used for a season. That way you know that whatever caused the lean condition was fixed also.

My brother had an Evinrude blow, and a guy I worked with rebuilt it for him. It had to be sleeved even because it had some serious issues in one of the cylinders.
It's been two seasons since then and he hasn't had any problems with it.....A rebuilt engine should be fine....But again I would do more investigating on such a new/expensive motor as the 90 optimax

I would never have a outboard with oil injection.If i found a good deal on one I would take it off.Get ahold of who rebuilt it to find out what the problem was.

Latest posts