Bent prop shaft...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsr001

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am new to the forum as well as a first time boat owner.

That being said I think my first boat buying experience could have been a bust.

I purchased a 1542 Duracraft with trailer and a 1995 Mercury 25 all for $1000. I looked at boats for a while and when I found this one. Seemed like a good enough deal to me so I called the guy and we met to test drive it. Motor fired right off as soon as I pushed the starter, boat ran great, good compression when I pulled the rope, lower unit oil looked great, boat didn't leak, ect... One thing I didn't know to look for however was the prop shaft. I found later that it is bent and pretty bad so at that. When I ran the boat it didn't have any vibration. :?

I've asked a couple people and didn't get much info. I thought I would try you guys out and see if I could get any opinions on if it has to be fixed and if it does, what kind of bill will I be looking at?

All the help will be very very much appreciated.

Thanks guys and glad to be a part of the forum!

Nick

Welcome aboard. =D>
A friend had a bent prop shaft on a 25 Merc.He took the lower off, brought it to a shop & for I believe for $125 that's including water pump replacement, all new seals,& prop shaft straighten.

nsr001 said:
Hello all!

I am new to the forum as well as a first time boat owner.

That being said I think my first boat buying experience could have been a bust...

Nick

Nick,
welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Guess it depends on your location and who does the work.
Dealers around me charge $80+/hour for labor (if they will work on it). A small repair shop
may charge half that. Make a few phone calls to get a ballpark figure.
Also, let the seller know there's a problem asap. Whether he/she chooses
to make it right is a different story. Good luck.

Thank you all for the info. I am going to go ahead and get it fixed if I can find someone to do it that cheap. I called on shop Saturday and they told me $250 just for a new prop shaft! :eek:

Any of you know where to order one online from??

Thanks
Nick

nsr001 said:
Thank you all for the info. I am going to go ahead and get it fixed if I can find someone to do it that cheap. I called on shop Saturday and they told me $250 just for a new prop shaft! :eek:

Any of you know where to order one online from??

Thanks
Nick

$250?? Ouch!
You can try the salvage yards or ebay for a used one. Also, you may want to get a price a lower unit.
That should be simple enough for you to change yourself. Then again, I know nothing about mercs, LOL.

Salvage yards:
sea-way.com
outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
trixieslanding.com Trixie’s Landing, Bayville, NJ 732-269-5838
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com/
Don's marine Salvage, 5601 126th Avenue North Clearwater, FL 33760 - (727) 576-8577

I like the idea of getting the shaft I have straightened. I think I'm gonna give that a shot first. Sounds a lot cheaper. :)

Is this something that I can do with just regular tools and a little common sense or should I have someone take it out professionally?

Thanks for the help!

Nick

Latest posts