Well whats the next option?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansasnative

Reaction score
Morning tinheads! For those of you who read my last post about getting the stripped bolt out of my lower unit i got it out this morning. Ended up having to go get some reinforced cutting disks for my dremel, then i just cut half the bolt head off and used a hammer and chisel to hit the corner of the bolt to twist it. then the pliers finished the job!

Now on to my next problem... i still cant figure out why my motor isn't peeing. Ive checked the little rubber hose that connects to the nozzle on the underside of the lower cowling, blew thru it, and it was clear. Now i've taken my lower unit off and checked the impeller and it looks fine with no cracks or splits in the plastic. What is the next step in chasing down my problem? Ive uploaded a few pics from my phone to see if ya'll can see anything. One thing that caught my eye is where the impeller housing slides up into the body of the motor... is that little pipe suppose to be angled like that? that doesn't seem right to me.
2011-01-25_10-46-17_474.jpg

2011-01-25_10-47-52_852.jpg

2011-01-25_10-48-59_916.jpg

The angle of the pipe is fine (none of them are straight). Your not getting water flowing because you either have a blockage, t-stat is fouled up, the water ports in your powerhead are plugged up with corrosion, your running the outboard on muffs instead of a barrel, or the "key" that mates the impeller to the shaft is missing. That's all I can think of right now.
Get a garden hose with a jet nozzle on it and hold it onto that bent pipe and turn on the water. You should get water flow out the pee hole. If you do then put everything back together and run it in a barrel or the lake because your muffs are not sealing properly.

The key sits between the shaft and the impeller and locks the impeller to the shaft. The drive shaft is round until you get to the bottom where the impeller sits and that is where the key is located. If the key is missing then the impeller would just spin freely on the shaft. Grab the impeller and turn the prop with your other hand. If you can't keep the impeller from spinning then the key is in there. If the shaft spins and the impeller doesn't move then someone left the key out.
The key is most likely in there. When you go to change the impeller just be on the lookout for the key. Its flat but raised on one side and is fairly small.
Check for blockages and if that doesn't pan out check your t-stat.
Does your outboard have a pee hole?

yea it has a pee hole... its a late 80's johnson 9.9. Went back out and hooked a hose up to the pipe like you recommended and water shoots out of the pee hole fine. so i went back to the lower unit and checked the impeller to see if it spun freely around the shaft... and it did. but when i rotate the prop the shaft doesnt turn either? so i guess im missing the key... where can i get one?

Your impeller doesn't look very good.In the pic on the pump body the impeller veins look like they're bent.Did you put a new impeller in.The impeller can go in either way.There is no up or down side.
With the impeller out of the pump body the veins should be straight.

The vanes on your impeller do not seem to be flexible. They are not springing back out like they should it seems to me. The vanes should be very flexible and not stiff. When new they stick straight out and after running for a while they will lean to one side but yours seem to be leaning a bit farther than normal. It may be a weak impeller not being able to pump water through the motor.

No it will not come with a new key. If its a dealer part you will have to buy it at a marine dealer. They should stock them.
iboats might have everything you need. It most likely had the key in it so look around but odds are finding it are slim. Stuff like that seems to be lost until you buy a new one.
I had a small outboard that wasn't pumping water even though I went through everything a couple times. I finally ordered a new impeller and that solved the problem even though the old impeller looked ok.

Sounds like you are missing the "woodruff key". Any auto parts store should have them, but you don't know what size you need. Where ever you buy a replacement impeller should also have them. Rich

the closest marina is about 2 or 3 hours away depending on which lake i go to... so im probably gonna have to order parts off the internet. I found three pretty quick... would any of these be quality?

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Johnson-Evinrude-9-9-15HP-Water-Pump-Impeller-Kit-3327-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e2c9b90cQQitemZ360287156492QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_1770wt_939
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IMPELLER-REPAIR-KIT-JOHNSON-EVIRUDE-OMC-9-9-15-HP-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cecbbcdffQQitemZ330389245439QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_1272wt_783
https://www.iboats.com/mall/partfinder/?cart_id=564888494&gd_grid_id=1730&gd_poid=110930&gd_row=5&session_id=711565019

Those are all identical aftermarket kits so pick whichever.
You can just order the impeller for $11 and the key for $2 of iboats. They ship USPS so their shipping rates are pretty low. Give them a call so you get the right key.
I think this is your key:
https://www.iboats.com/Water-Pump-Impeller-Key-Pin-for-Johnson-Evinrude-300771-300611-GLM-89600-89596-Sierra/dm/cart_id.564888494--session_id.138958508--view_id.174614

I'd call iboats,give them your model & serial #'s off your motor.Can't go wrong.They will make sure you order the right one. =D>

Napa charges about 50% more then iBoats but they can usually get you the part(s) by the next day.