Mercury 4HP 2 stroke help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldgeek

Reaction score
I bought a boat, motor and trailer on Monday. I got it all at a real good price so I expect it will need a little work. It was really cold that day and the motor wouldn't start. I have a manual coming on this but wanted some ideas on things to try first to get the motor started. It has been sitting for a year outside without running. The gas tank was nearly full and I'm not sure if the gas was that old or not. No primer bulb on gas line either but I don't know if they all need one or not?

The motor is an early 1970's Mercury/Kiehaefer 2 cycle 4HP with Thunderbolt ignition. It uses an external gas tank. The outside of the motor is in very good condition.

Being the redneck mechanic that I am, I was thinking of spraying some carb cleaner in it and giving it a few pulls or maybe a shot of ether. I thought if I could get it running a bit, it might blow out some of the gunk. But that might be the wrong way to start! :lol:

The only way your going to get that thing running properly is to remove the carburetor and clean it out thoroughly and you might as well purge the old gas out of the fuel lines. Dump the old gas in your car and buy fresh fuel.
Go buy a primer bulb cuz you need it.
Don't shoot ether or carb cleaner down the throat and try and start it. It might start but there is no way its going to blow anything out and start running right.

What I usually do in the spring,when I get a reluctant engine I take the sparkplugs off, dip them in gazoline ,tighten them back on the engine, and pull on the rope,,,, usually 99% success....

Latest posts