Mariner Motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassaholic

Reaction score
Thinking of purchasing a new motor. Seen a few good deals and was wondering if a Mariner 15hp is any good and worth buying? I will be putting it on my 14' Starcraft V Hull.

In the 1980's yamaha made mariners. DO NOT BUY THEM! I was told this by a marine mechanic. He said that parts are very hard to find and very expensive. Newer mariners are made by tohatsu who also makes mercury's under 30hp. So If it is a newer model you will be fine

basstender10.6 said:
In the 1980's yamaha made mariners. DO NOT BUY THEM! I was told this by a marine mechanic. He said that parts are very hard to find and very expensive. Newer mariners are made by tohatsu who also makes mercury's under 30hp. So If it is a newer model you will be fine

I've got a mid 80's 40hp motor and its as solid as they come. Yahmaha makes some of the best motors out there. I have never had a problem finding parts online. So really its a matter of opinion, but go to Iboats and you will find many praises of these outboards.

Troutman3000 said:
basstender10.6 said:

I've got a mid 80's 40hp motor and its as solid as they come. Yahmaha makes some of the best motors out there. I have never had a problem finding parts online. So really its a matter of opinion, but go to Iboats and you will find many praises of these outboards.
I have an 1983 25 hp Yamaha built Mariner it's been very good for me.

I have a jap version 15hp mariner, it has been an awesome little motor, parts aren't that hard to find, you just have to be careful and make sure you get the right part and not a part for a merc mariner that's been the hard part for me.

I think Yamaha made Mariners in that size right up to 1992.
I have a 30hp Mariner/yamaha,can't tell you to much about parts,it never needed any.
I am going to change the water impellor this year,a Yamaha will fit it.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Troutman3000 said:
basstender10.6 said:

I have an 1983 25 hp Yamaha built Mariner it's been very good for me.

The 25hp motors were different. Those parts (for some reason) are much easier to find than the small outboard parts.

Latest posts