dumb question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticknstack38

Reaction score
i know this sounds crazy but im trying to make a weedeater into a small outboard, i have a trolling motor prop and a weedeater but i have to figure out a way to make a mount for my transom on my 12 ft v-hull, but it has to be able to turn and it dont need to but id like for it to be able for me to lift it up and down like on a swivel mechanism because i dont think my weedeateer has a clutch and it will prolly just stall when it hits the water and probly wont start if the prop is submerged in water... so if any ya'll could give me some ideas for a mount or any suggestions on anything else having to do with this id appreciate it.
P.S. i didnt know if this is the rite place to ask this so sorry if it wasnt... thanks

Doesn't sound like a dumb question to me.

To make a 2 way swivel you would need some sort of a u joint. At the bottom of the u joint you would attach it to the boat with some bolts or large clamps of some sort and then the top would have to have some sort of a heavy duty hose clamp or handlebar clamp of some sort to hold on to the shaft of the weed eater. This could be done. Post some pics if you decide to do it. Good luck.

yea i dont think its dumb either, everyone i told about it says that it wont push a 12 footer. thanks, il probly try that this weekend and if i do il post some pics of it when its done and il also be puttin some pics up of my build in a week or 2 because i havent picked the boat up yet... but thanks for the help, i appreciate il be shure to post pics if i do it

I looked on youtube after I posted that and there are a couple of them. Take a look and I do not see that thing having any problem pushing a 12' boat. You won't get on plane or go fast but it will push it around as fast as a trolling motor would I think.

Not a dumb question. I think it is a great idea, it would be kinda like a mini Beavertail Mud / Surface Motor...would be way cool for a small Jon boat....

https://www.explorebeavertail.com/mudmotors.html

Maybe try and find a regular trolling motor that no longer works and use the mounting hardware / brackets combined with your weed eater / outboard for a finished project... just a thought..

Outdoorsman,

I don't know what weed eater motor your planing on using but the many years I've used a weed eater ( and played with them :mrgreen: ) the one thing I've learned is if it won't turn the spool of string under water it sure won't have the torque to turn a propeller in the water. Maybe if you get some thing with some grunt behind it might work but I have my doubts. Just my opinion. Try what I'm talking about with your weed eater. Fill up a bucket of water start it up with some string spooled out of it then rev it out and stick under water. That should give you an idea if a prop is way too much for the little motor.

P.S. I'm not tryin to discourage you. If you think it will work go for it. I know when some one tells me it can't be don't it makes me want to do it that much worse. Been they way since I was about 9 and I fixed one of those electric screw drivers that had a label on the side that said "This peice can not be reassebled after this pin is removed." It took me about an hour and half but I got it. Good luck to you.

Go to duckhuntingchat.com and look for a download in the boat/motor/modification. The guy will email you a copy.

https://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=87339

You can buy one of these motors already made. they cost about $95 and are called bumble bee motors.
Check this out https://smalloutboards.com/bumbee.htm

I have some modest experience with r/c planes. Lots of larger model airplanes run on weed eater motors. There are entire sites devoted to the modification and use of weed eater and other small gas motors for such a use.

As far as a flexible mount....I'd think a bit about an older style rowing oar lock. Lots of flexibility and strength.

I, too, want to see where you go with this project. Good Luck....rich

Latest posts