anyone know what this lever does ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catfishhunter

Reaction score
I have a 73 Mercury 9.8 110 and I do not know what the lever that is under the choke and fuel line connection is for . here is a pick if anyone could explain to me what this lever does would be a big help . I dont want to tear it up. it had some writing on the alumunim plate but it is wore off

012.jpg

thanks again

My best guess would be some sort of locking mechanism to lock the motor in the "up trim" position. Pull the motor out by the propeller and when it is as high as you can get it push or pull that little lever and see if it will lock the motor up.

I had one of those motors along time ago and I think Bulldog is close. If I remember right it locks the motor in the down position to where you can't lift the motor at all and when its released the motor is free to move up and down. That was many motors ago so I could be wrong. If i'm right its best to leave it in the "free" position when on the water but when on the trailer you might want to lock it down so it doesn't bounce as long as your skeg has plenty of ground clearance.

yep... it locks the motor.

If you don't have it locked down, throw it in reverse and shoot the gas... that sucker will try its' best to come out of the water from the prop spin!

I usually leave it locked.. the only time I take it off is when I'm going throw shallow water where I know a lot of stumps are.. if I hit one of the stumps, it will pop up and over the stump instead of not moving at all

thanks guys , just what I thought just didnt want it to be something different .cant wait to try this motor out , its the first mercury i have ever owned

Latest posts