9.9 johnson on 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouachita1648

Reaction score
I recently bought a '74 Johnson 9.9 2 stroke for $400. It is a really good motor that runs very well. I was just wondering if anyone had used this size motor on a 16 foot flat bottom and how well it worked. I haven't had a chance to take mine out... and won't for a while. its -2 degrees right now. lol. Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

Its not gonna be a speed demon, but if the motor runs right, it should get you on a plane and get you from point A to point B. I would count on about 12mph, depending on the weight of the boat.

I've got a 1648 Lowe jon boat and I've had my brothers late 50's 10hp evinrude on it and it would get my boat on a plane with one person. Since then I brought a 1976 9.9 Evinrude with a 15hp carb on it and this motor puts me up on a plane with no problems at all. I brought it with the idea of running some of the 10hp restricted lakes around me. Well worth having a 9.9 hp if you fish any of the restricted lakes. You can always pick up extra motor with more hp down the line when the money allows.

Latest posts