Honda 10hp Vs. Evinrude 15hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnwkr

Reaction score
My 13.5 gregor welded V has a mid 80's honda 10hp on it and is a little under gunned. I was thinking of selling it and maybe getting a 15hp evinrude. The local dealer has one completely rebuilt for a good price. Would it be a worthwhile upgrade? I dont mind mixing oil/gas and am very familiar with OMC 9.9/15hp outboards so maintenance would be easier. The hondas don't hold up as well in the salt so I'm told and thats where this will get most of it's use. I've also read that 2strokes have more gettup and go than a 4 stroke for the same power rating.
Thanks for any opinions!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/2218126893.html

I would think the Evinrude would push your boat much better. I loved the 9.9 I had. It was on a 8' hydro plane style boat I built, it would push it around 25-30mph if I had to guess. I would get it if it was me.

I'd make the upgrade to the Evinrude 15 for a couple reasons: 1. You're already familar with small OMC's and 2. Upgrade in power. I had an '88 Evinrude 15 pull start. Those things are easy to work on (I'm pretty green), strong, and durable.

Well I went down to the shop this morning to have a look at the motor. It has a re-manufactured power head on it, and the last owner had cooked the thing. The shop had to mill the head, new gaskets, clean carb, new waterpump, hoses, etc. They said the compression was good at 115 both cylinders and the cylinders were still in good shape.
What do y'all think? Should I stay away from this considering its history or buy it considering all the work that's been done recently? The price is good for the market around here.
Thanks!

Like you said this would come with a history. Alot just depends on the skill of the shop. Considering it's coming out of a shop the price seems about right. I'd test this on my boat before I made my mind up on anything. You can always offer less but with all the work the shop did they most likely will not come down, can't hurt though.

Big red flag for me, I wouldn't buy a car with a rebuilt motor either. The price is a little on the high side and the motor is not that new. Pass on that one and keep looking. I'm not sure what your boat is rated for, 15 and 20 HP motors are out there. That's a nice Honda you have there, have you considered putting it up for sale and putting that money towards your new motor. A $500 motor around here can go either way, a $1,000 motor is usually in pretty nice shape.

I have an 81 Evinrude 15 and I love it. Lots of power and reliable plus easy to pull start. :)

$650 for a motor with an almost completely rebuilt power head, that has good compression and was put together by a reputable shop is a buy in my book! That motor goes for about $500 around here, with NO work done to it and the only history is what the guy you are buying it from tells ya. I would have no reservation buying this motor. Check out the shop's reputation, ask other people who have bought motors from them; then make your decision based on that.

Well, I went another route. Found this 86' creampuff listed locally in impeccable condition, 2nd owner(he bought it off his buddy) freshwater use only, which is rare around here, well maintained, low hours and runs excellent. Got it from an older gentleman who was selling off his boating gear. Still has the "Inspected by" sticker on it from the factory ;)
Aside from a few(three) paint chips on the cowling this looks new. Much happier with this than the motor from the shop and it was cheaper so saved me some coin as well.

5457256943_cd1f01cff8_b.jpg

Latest posts