Did I just smoke my new motor???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnwkr

Reaction score
Ok, I had a DOH! moment today, but I'll blame that on the cold medicine I've been taking ;)
Took my new 15hp 2 stroke out to the lake today, I was using the gas can from my 4 stroke... I know what your thinking, but yes, I mixed new gas and oil in it to the proper ratio. What I didn't do was flush the 6' hose and bulb with the mixed gas.
Started up fine, let it warm up for a few seconds then took off across the lake to see how well it would do. Made it about a 1/4 mile and started loosing power. Slowed down and the engine died on me. I was like OH $H1T! checked the vent on the tank, wasn't that, started it up again then it hit me, I just ran WOT on straight gas! Felt the head and it was pretty hot. Not fry an egg hot but hot enough I didn't want to leave my hand on it for more than a few seconds. But it did get hot enough to kill the engine.
Took the lid off my tank and jammed my pliers into the valve on the end of the hose and pumped it about 20 times to make sure I had all the unmixed gas out, hooked it back up and fired her up again. I putted around for a minute letting everything get lubed up again then did a few laps around the lake with my hand under the pea stream to see if it was getting hot again.. No more problems, and seems to be running fine. Thank God!
I got home and checked the compression, just under 120 each cyclinder. Ran it in a tank for a while and seemed to do fine. I guess I got lucky.
Is there anything else I should do or check to make sure I didn't fu#$ anything up?
Thanks for being helpful with all my newbie questions!
Oh, the new motor was a much needed improvement over the honda 10hp. Jumped right up on plane and rode much higher and flatter, could easily hold plane down to about half throttle and gps'd it about 24mph, 7mph improvement over the honda.

Anyone have any touch up paint? ;)
5457256943_cd1f01cff8_z.jpg

=D> Gottafish here, I'm not a mechanic, but if you ran it around the lake and also when you got home......I think you dodged a big one!!!!!! One thing you might do is to run the oil mix a little rich for awhile. Instead of 50:1, maybe run 40:1. Just a thought. I also have a 2 cylinder 15 HP Johnson and I just love it! The little motor just keeps on keeping on!

sounds like the sensors on the motor did what they are designed to do, protect the engine. since the pee water was ok, and no other issues, should be ok.

TNtroller said:
sounds like the sensors on the motor did what they are designed to do, protect the engine. since the pee water was ok, and no other issues, should be ok.

Are there sensors that kill it if it gets too hot?

Sounds like things are ok, it couldn't hurt to go a little heavy on the oil on the next tank of gas. It may be overkill on my part, but I have a seperate tank and hose for each motor with a peace of duck tape stating gas/oil mix and what motor it's for, since all three of the motors I use are different.

There's no sensors on a motor that old.
There's a guy on iboats that used to work for OMC and he said they tested motors on straight fuel to see what would happen and he said they would run a long time with no damage. I don't believe they tested them at WOT but he said it was surprising how well they would do with no oil. Sounds like your motor got hot and shut down because of expansion. With your compression readings it sounds like its fine.
It sucks when you do dumb things like that. I've done stuff where I scratch my head afterwards and want to kick myself.

Whoopbass is pretty much correct. What happened to your engine is not good, but you may have dodged the big bullet as has been mentioned. Kinda' like shooting it with a .22 cal. instead of a .45! One way to tell (doubt if you will do it) is to remove the exhaust cover and look at the exhaust sides of the piston skirts. Most likely they will have stick marks. When the engine slowed and you reduced the throttle if the engine felt like someone put a brake on the flywheel and stopped the engine then this is what happened. After only a minute or two the piston will cool, shrink a little and become free of the cylinder wall and can be restarted in most cases. Idling and running with more oil will help "heal" some of the damage. If severe enough the first signs will be that the engine will be harder to start and sometimes require a mixture and possibly an idle timing adjustment to gain back most of the idle quality.
That engine has no warning system for this and the actual mechanical process will not physically overheat the egine when it happens. The other part of Whoopbass' comment on OMC running engines on zero oil is also correct but they were run mainly at idle RPM for the test.