1993 Mercury tiller handle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpd165

Reaction score
I am right handed and drive my boat from the left side of the rear seat. It seems like there is not enough room to maneuver comfortably from that position, but if I sit on the right side and operate the tiller handle with my left hand there is Plenty of room, it's just awkward.

The handle comes off the left side of the engine, putting it closer to me when i sit on the left side. If the handle came off the right side it would give me another foot and a half of space to operate. Does anyone know if this is something that can be reversed or "fixed" to make for a more comfortable ride where my arm doesn't cramp up on long runs from being held behind my back.

Sorry if this post is clear as mud. I attached a few pics to hopefully clarify it a little.

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 680
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 680
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 680
I dont think its worth messing with. Im not sure it can be done because the throttle is set up on one side. Just get used to using your left hand. I have a tiller too and have to use my left hand and it doesnt bother me at all. It does take a while to get used to but after a while it becomes second nature.

I would not touch it because these mercurys have the shift built into the throttle, making it very complicated to change.

Ok, thanks for the replies. I guess the consensious is I need to get in the habit of driving with my left hand.

Looks to me like the problem could be that your garage is just way to organized and clean... And to have a plug in that close to the boat is probably un-American....
I fear the guys are telling you some good advise... just kinda learn to except the problem or even better get a friend to go along and run the motor.

Left and right hand operated motors were never made, but should've been. Heck of an idea!!!

Wanna have some fun, put some butter on a knife and hand it to a left handed person and watch them try to spread it. :lol: