2003 3.3hp merc.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cBooms@SML

Reaction score
Any of you guys know anything about these little motors? i picked mine up for 400 and it only has about 4 or 5 hours on it tops. its practically brand new, but since it was used on a sailboat, im guessing it was used in saltwater. it hasn't been run for use in a while, but i fired it up for about 5 seconds because i didn't have it in water. it was really smokey, so im guessing thats a sign of it being fogged for winter. the compression is amazing, and i haven't been able to see any signs of corrosion from the saltwater. anyone know aaprx. how fast this will push my bass raider 10e with only me (160) on it? i think my grandparents are getting it serviced either next weekend of the weekend afterwards. it comes with a manual, but do any of you guys have any experience with these? im very excited to use it, and from the videos i've seen on youtube, it will push a 12ft jon boat pretty fast

From what I have heard, they are powerful little motors and have good power to weight ratios. You are not going to plane with a motor like that but you should see 10mph if the weight is distributed evenly.

I had a 3hp motor on a BR10E, and it is slow. The boat is not intended for speed. You may get 10 mph and that would be respectable. Any faster than that, and you'll be swamping your boat. But don't be discouraged. Having a gas motor on those types of boats have its advantages: You can travel farther and faster than a TM, motor is like a rudder aiding your boat to track straighter while you're fishing, and it's great to have another means of propulsion.

With that smoking, it sounds like the last owner might have fogged the engine and it's common for it to smoke like that for the first time. You might want to steer away from starting the engine out of water, even 5 seconds is not good for the impeller. And zerofivenismo is right on, it's great to have another source of power without using up the battery. I was always happy to have the family's 5.5 johnson to push the boat. I found alot of good fishing spots that I might've missed with a faster boat.

awesome! thanks for the info guys. im a little upset that my little boat isnt made for speed but im glad there are some much needed benefits

I have one of those 3.3 merc's mounted on my customized 1542 alumacraft........fully loaded with two people it manages 6.5 mph. You might get 11 or 12 mph with that lightweight pelican......it's a wonderful little motor and will be all you need on that 10' boat.

Latest posts