16 HP engine not starting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screwballl

Reaction score
This is not actually on a boat but most of these engines are the same so I figured I would ask here since you guys deal with these small engines all the time.

I have a Kohler 16HP engine refusing to start. It cranks/turns over just fine (until I run the battery down). I can pour gas in the intake and it starts/runs for just a moment and then it backfires just a little and dies again. I pulled the gas line off the carb and it is flowing very easily including through the filter. It is fresh clean gas. Spark plug is clean and gapped.

I was thinking of looking for a carb rebuilt kit but not sure if thats even the problem.

ideas?

If it doesn't have the gas tank fixed to the engine, it should have a fuel pump, a small box round or square in the fuel line, with a 3rd line going to vacuum on the engine.

It is actually on a riding mower.

It has the gas tank above the level of the carb and gravity feeds the fuel. These engines do not have an actual fuel pump.

huntinfool said:
Your carb is probably dirty. Take it off and clean it and I bet it will work like a champ.

Thank you, I will try that after work if time allows or maybe later this week. Thanks you all.

Remember with the new ethanol in gas it only has a shelf life of about 20 days. So if your going to put something up for the winter, drain the fuel out of the carb, (or run it out). This will keep it from going bad in the float bowl and keep it from messing up your carb. I run the fuel out of my carb on my outboard every time and I never have an issue with it starting up the next time.

I tore it apart after work today. There are 2 butterfly valves and the inside one closest to the block was sticking closed. After I hosed it all down with carb cleaner it freed itself up. Also hosed off the end of the spark plug with carb cleaner then dried it off.

Started first try! Thanks for the help all, I was hoping it wasn't something more involved and it wasn't.

Latest posts