Having issues with my older evinrude fisherman 6 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty111

Reaction score
I have an older evinrude fisherman 6 hp and it will start and run full throttle in neutral or reverse but when I put it into foward gear and go full throttle it won't go full throttle, it just kind of stays in idle mode almost. After you have tried running it in forward gear for a while and shut it off, it takes foreverrr to get started agian.
Has anyone ever had this problem or do they know what it is? Your help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks Smitty

I'm no outboard expert. The one I have now is the first one I've ever had to do work too.

However, my Brother had a 97 50hp Evinrude that did the exact same thing. Ended up being a dead cylinder. Had to have the block sleeved because of the severe scoring in the cylinder.
I hope that isn't the case for you!

Ohh jeeze I sure hope not, but ill take that into consideration. Thank you for you input!

sounds like a carb issue , i would check compression and rebuild the carb . if it has been setting the gas has probly gummed up the jets , you could try Sea Foam in the fuel . also i have mixed 1/2 cup seafoam and 1 cup fuel and take off fuel line and pour as much as possible in the carb and let sit for a few hours to break up gunk . then drain the bowl , hook fuel line back up and try to start , you might want to change spark plug to . it might help keeping you from rebuilding the carb

Latest posts