74' Chrysler 15hp Outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am no mechanic when it comes to boat motors. just had a quick question. I have read up on some of the other posts and it kind of answered my ? but then again it didnt. My motor is listed in the subject. My ? is when I hook my motor up and let it run with a hose it doesnt seem to be streaming water. It seems to spray it. I dont know if maybe the hose connection doesnt get it enough water. I have not tried to put it in a trashcan or anything like that. When out on the lakes, it seems to be ok still just sprays the water out. It doesnt overheat or anything. It did run a little rough when I first got it. I put new plugs in it last summer. That did seem to fix the rough problem. It still will not idle on its own. I have to just give it a tiny bit of throttle. I can say for a 74' it does run great. I tried to take the lower unit off the other day, but couldnt figure out how to unattach it from the shift link. I was going to check the water pump and see if it was maybe worn. Hopefully not, but for a 74' it could be. I know when i bought it from one of my buddies he said it had been rebuilt, piston and rings that is. I only paid 250 for it so, I think I got a pretty good deal for a 15 horse. I plan on getting some paint and repainting it. I would like to know also about how to maybe add a kill switch to it, right now I have to just let it die. Any suggestions please let me know. I took a couple of pics to show the water ports and the exhaust. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSCN0805.JPG
    DSCN0805.JPG
    811.1 KB · Views: 806
I have a similar motor. Mine is a 79 45 HP Chrysler. I believe they are made by Force. Their design is such that there is no telltale or "peehole" to speak of. From what I understand if you see whater spraying out of there you are golden. I did however find this thread on iboats about adding a telltale to your Chrysler/Force motor. I was not adventurous to try it although it doesn't look difficult.

https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=210027

Backpain is right. That motor is suppose to spit water out as opposed to a stream.
If you want to inspect your impeller you need to disconnect the shift linkage. Remove the LU bolts and it will drop a an inch or two. In that space you can get to the shift linkage. Just a bolt is holding it together. Even though the impeller might look good it doesn't mean that it is. I would change it since it probably has never been changed. I would be surprised if that motor has been rebuilt since parts are expensive and difficult to come by but that doesn't mean the motor can't last another 30 years.

Thanks for all the info. This helped alot. I was actually worried that if it wasnt spraying water the the water pump might be bad. I actually talked to my grandpa today. He is retired from Chrysler and knows quite a bit about them. He basically said the same thing as u guys. It is not suppose to stream. He said if you at least see some kind of water coming out of dont worry about it. They dont stream like most motors, they spray. Like I said its not overheating or anything like that, just thought that I would maybe teach myself a few maintenance and mechanical skills and try to take a look on my own. Thanks again for all the advice, this site is so helpful.

Latest posts