mud buddy vs. 25 merc

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi! i am new to tinboats and thought i would ask a question ive been thinking about for a while! which do you all prefer? a surface drive motor or a regular motor. i have a 25 merc now with not one problem but would like to get a mudbuddy to possibly replace it but would like to know how they perform vs my merc i have now.

I have been watching a lot of the videos on youtube and on the different manufacturers websites about mud motors and they all look awesome.

From what I have read and heard they are quite a bit heavier and slower than a comparable horsepower outboard and like a jet outboard they serve a specific purpose.....running in mud, shallow water, over logs, and through weeds. If you are using it in an area that you are going to tear up your regular outboard doing such things then go for it.

If your regular outboard handles where you hunt and fish just fine then I would stick with it.

I currently live in North Fl (just southwest of Jacksonville) and I thought a mud motor would be perfect for the swamps, creeks, and saltmarsh's around here. But everyone I talked to when looking for a boat and motor told me I should just go with a conventional outboard.

They are still super cool and look like they are so much fun. I still want a "mud boat" and a jet boat as well.

How could you not want one of these??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rd2d3PQSiA

Welcome aboard farminandfishin! Happy to have you here.

I can't offer any comparison comments or answers to your question, but I do think they are pretty cool.

"mud buddy vs. 25 merc"

I would have to go with YES.
Both is the only real option. :mrgreen:

Latest posts