Swap out a 35 hp power head for a 25 hp power head

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
I'd like to have a 2 stroke jet and have a 25 HP Evinrude. I know the jet looses a lot of power at the pump. My question is ,would it be feasible to swap out a 35 hp power head for the 25 hp head? The motor is a 1971 25 Hp Sportster. Any comments or advise would be appreciated. Todd

The more power the better but the problem you'll have is getting a jet for that old of a motor. Outboardjets dosn't have a pump listed for that old of 25hp. They started making them for the 25hp in 1976. What size boat are you wanting to put it on? You will lose power but they are a blast to drive and they can run in less then 6 inches of water easy.

If you get a 35hp it should push it without to much of a problem. I think you would be safe with a 40/28 Evinrude/Johnson, it would have all the power you would want for that boat. My 16' 42"Blazer SS is rated for 25hp and it has handled my 40/28 just fine. They're a dime a dozen and there bullet proof and got enough torque to haul a good size load. If you could find a 1995-2001 3cylinder 25-35hp it would be a decent motor for your boat but there about like finding a needle in a hay stack. They have more power then a normal 25hp but they don't have as much as the 40hp. Nice medium for your boat. Keep in mind that you'll want a short shaft motor so you'll only need a 22" transom to run it with the jet. An OMC is a good choice if your wanting to put a jet on it. Mercs don't do as well with a jet, they just don't have the low end torque needed for a jet pump. Yamaha's aren't a bad choice either but I only know of people puting jets on the 40hp and up.