Clamp Washers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixshootertexan

Reaction score
I'm replacing the clamp screws on my motor. The old ones twisted off when I took the motor off the boat. I plan on using 316SS threaded rod. I need the cup washers. I checked McMaster and could not found them. Any body know where to find them?

Orchard Supply Hardware has some thick cupped type washers. They are in some type of kit with some other tool. I don't even know what their for but I used some that were identical that I had laying around for an outboard. I think the kit was about $6-8.
The kit is in their tool corral. You could probably find something similar at a real hardware store.
I just sandwiched the washers between the bolts and the transom. Tapping the bolt with threads would be ideal. The allen head bolts makes the outboard harder to steal. They aren't SS so I greased the threads.

Pappy suggestion is better if you have a JohnnyRude. They run $30-$35 each new but you can get them for $20-$30 a pair used on ebay.

I want to build them myself because I can make 2 SS ones for less then $20. The cheapest I found for the aluminum ones are $22.85 each plus shipping.

It's a Johnson 1991 J25ELEID

Are you looking for SS cupped washers? That might be hard to find. You could probably have something made but that's going to cost you some bucks. You might try one of those specialty fastener stores.
Can't you use your existing cupped washers?

Nice job!!!

Did you make the jack plate also? You can raise the motor higher than the 5" difference, the further back off your transom the motor is, because the water comes up from under your boat as you move forward. That would eliminate more lower unit drag and gain a bit more speed.

How much higher would be determined by you shimming the motor higher and testing it for cavitation, paying attention to the high speed turns. If it works out after testing, a new transom board could be made to the desired height.

I only mention this because of your asking about the 30 hp carb.

Latest posts