Broke head bolt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecb223

Reaction score
I need some ideas on how to remove a broken bolt. I also broke the easy out off in the bolt. I have been soaking it with pb blaster. I was going to try and grind out the the easy out with a dremel ,but I thought I would wait and see if anyone has any better ideas.
Thanks

We were warned repeatedly about using and breaking off easy outs and taps in holes. Biggest PITA there is about removing SS bolts from aluminum, but you know that now.

Chipping at it in a clockwise direction might break it loose. If you do manage to get it out, try some heat on the broken bolt and use a left handed drill bit, drill motor in reverse to use it. Minimum heat would be MAPP gas.

That is a tough situation you have there. There are drill bits out there that can drill through an easy out. They are not too cheap. I purchased a 13 piece set about 7-8 years ago and it was $80.00. They were made by Rodman & Company. However they are guaranteed forever. You have to turn them at least 2000 RPM for them to work. They are made to be used in a drill press for hardened steel but there are some hand held drills that will turn them up that fast. I had to purchase a Dewalt cordless drill that would spin that fast to get them to work.

Here is the link to Rodman & Company.
https://www.rodmanandcoinc.com/rodmanandcoinc.com/item04c5-2.html?UCIDs=1307321|1307323&PRID=1492961

Well I finally ground out the tap with my Dremel and some diamond coated burrs, but I still cant break the bolt loose! I tried heating the block around the bolt with low heat. I don't know if the bolt is corroded or if it has some kind of sealant on the treads.

I've removed lots of broken bolts in my life but never one in Aluminum!
A friend told me to heat the bolt and not the block ,but it looks to me like that would expand the bolt and make it even tighter.
Any Ideas?

I cheated and took it to a machine shop and had it drilled out and a helicoil installed. Im tired of screwing around with this thing.

I don't blame you for that.

Heating the bolt will expand it, but it also crystallizes the aluminum oxide corrosion that's bonding the bolt to the threads. After it cools a bit, they come out, if not broken off. Heat will break the bond of most any sealer/locktite, as is recommended for the red locktite.

In some instances, I've been able to remove a bolt from an aluminum housing and not been able to heat it, but also pulled out all the threads from the hole, such as in removing a trim tab from a lower unit.

Latest posts