Gear Case Oil

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alumacraft

Reaction score
I went to change my gear case oil on my 1976 9.9 evinrude today for the first time, (I normally have a marina change it) well there was water in it! just a little bit. Isnt there suppost to be washers on the two screws to prevent water coming in??? Also is this the right color? Sorry never changed it by myself, Im done paying $40 to get it changed by a mechanic :shock: :evil: you would think there should be some type of washers that go on the screw, why wouldnt the mechanic at the marina put them on?

2vdmmwh.jpg

n4gw2v.jpg

2lifole.jpg

Can I go to a hardware store or should I go to a Outboard Service area to pick some up?

how does the old oil look? Good?

That oil doesn't look too bad.I don't think a hardware store will have them but you never know.As long as they fit over the threads you should be good.

You can always order from https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/40670.cfm cost $.85, your local marina would be the best place to pick the part up. You might pay a little bit more but less then having the part shipped. I'd change the gear lube myself after picking up your part then change it again this fall.

Any parts store in your area should have those. NAPA, Advance, etc. Also a real hardware store will have them. Maybe not the big box stores but a True Value or something like that should have them.

Before you go to all the trouble of sourcing the washers take a look in the holes the screws came out of. About half the time they will be stuck in there. Always nice to source parts from the OEM where possible in my book . Would give your local dealer the business if possible.

Pappy said:
Before you go to all the trouble of sourcing the washers take a look in the holes the screws came out of. About half the time they will be stuck in there. Always nice to source parts from the OEM where possible in my book . Would give your local dealer the business if possible.

Exactly what I was about to say.

Pappy said:

Pappy is right, also when you do get new ones you need that lower unit pressure tested to see if that was the source of the leak or if the prop seals, or bearing carrier seal is the problem. Don't just pump in new lube put in new screws and hit the lake, you need to find the source of that leak.

Bufford

Latest posts