Is it possible to add twist-grip throttle to a '65 Johnson?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

architorture

Reaction score
I've got an old '65 Johnson 5 horse that has the throttle on the side and I'd like to know if its possible to add a twist-grip throttle. I've attached a pic of what mine looks like and a '65 6 horse I found a picture of. Let me know what you gurus think. Thanks, -Tucker

5hp-johnson-small.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Not easily. You are talking about a powerhead removal, gearcase removal, mid-section disassembly and replacement, steering bracket assembly replacement, plus assorted parts changing to that section including mounts and then you have to check and see if you have the correct bosses on the block to add the small tower shaft that is used to advance the timing. By the time you got everything together you would be over the cost of a replacement small used engine. Would be better for you to source a later model 6hp or a newer 4 or 6 deluxe.

I kind of figured this was sort of a square peg in a round whole type of thing. That's alright, I still love this little motor. My brother and his friend had used it for years duck hunting then one of them broke the pull cord and let it sit for a few years cause they couldn't get it fixed. When I finally came upon it it was so locked up the flywheel nut would spin before the motor would turn over (that may not actually mean a whole lot lol). After soaking it in oil a few days it finally broke loose, and after new plugs, cleaned carb, new recoil spring and pull cord she fired right up. This was the first outboard I had toyed with and I'm thankful it was something so simple and well built. You probably couldn't pick a better outboard to learn the basics on IMO. Anyways with that said, I'll just accept her for what she is and move on :)

Latest posts