johnson waterpump question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtleslayer

Reaction score
I have a 1968 20hp johnson tiller. I started it for about 2 seconds when I bought just to make sure it ran. My friend is telling me I should change the water pump because I probably fried it starting it out of the water. I've had it out on a small lake for about an hour to see if it ran and it seemed fine no issues. My question is how often does it need to be changed? Also does anyone know the recommended fuel mixture? I ran it at 40:1 and it seemed fine. This is my first boat (14ft Alumacraft semi-v) so any help is greatly appreciated.

40:1 or even 50:1 should be fine . as for the impeller they should be changed
every couple of years. if the motor has set for a few years i would change it . impeller should be under $25 and easy to change

2 years is the standard if you want to be ultra safe. I change my impellers every 10 years or so. They last quite a long time unless your running them in shallow sandy conditions.
It would be a good idea to change it now just to be on the safe side.

I change my impellers every other year.The impellers with the short veins (in my opinion) should be changed more often than the impellers with the long veins.On the newer motors with the longer veins you could go 5 years if the water you boat in isn't real muddy or sandy.
What I have seen is the shorter vein impellers seem to take a set quicker than the long vein impellers.Over the winter I turn my motors over so the impeller doesn't take a set.
Running your motor out of the water for 5 sec doesn't hurt them.In the winter I always start my motor out of the water to make sure all the water is out of the pump so it doesn't freeze.

Thanks for the help. I will go ahead and change it since I don't know how long it been. I get too far down river to have to row back because of a $20 impeller!

pump%20dry.gif

Latest posts