78 Chrysler 6

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jixer

Reaction score
So what do you guys know about these? I have been researching them, seems parts are hard to come by, but just wanted to know if anyone had first hand knowledge.

Im trading some work for this motor, I Replaced some wiring and got it going. Cleaned it up, changed the lower unit oil and had it going in a barrel, she pumps water, runs, foward and reverse work. In the deal, my my friend (who is doing some work but wants the 9.9 in the deal) is giving me an identical motor that has no cowl, tiller arm, the impeller is bad but hasnt been overheated, runs great and has an upgraded prop shaft (something about the originals being weak). I can finally use a gas motor on the closest lake to me, its been a long wait for the right deal. =D> And of course Pics, it took alot of elbow grease to pretty her up (thats not the oil that came out of the lower unit, that came from a neglected generator).

Attachments

• 000_0253.jpg
    000_0253.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 351
  • 000_0254.jpg
    000_0254.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 351
Nice looking engine you have there. I had a 7.5 about the same year. Dependable engine, or at least the one I had was. I also owned a few other Chrysler engine, bigger ones, a 75hp and a 105hp.

Parts are usually going to be hard to come by when the company has not been in production for decades. However there is always ebay and small engine repair shops that sell used parts and might have a Chrysler parts one in stock.

Matt

That's the cleanest one I have seen. The few that I have had have all been that burnt yellow color. Other then the pull starter recoil seem to break or foul up easy they seem to be decent outboards. There is a place on the net that sells quite a few parts for them but they are pretty expensive so I would try everywhere else first. If you do an internet search you can find the site.

Latest posts