help needed for a 6 hp johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StaticRaGe

Reaction score
My problem is it will idle fine in like a bucket at home when testing but when i get it in the lake it acts like its having fuel problems and even at full throttle it is like i have it on slow

1st check for spark, many engines run just fine on 1 cyl but have no power. take a compression reading to make its in good working order, no sense putting money into a motor thats worn out. If compression checks ok , take carb off and completely clean it making sure the high speed jet is clear.

well the compression is 61 psi and 60 in the other i know that's a bit low. so i took off the carb cleaned it put it back on all the gaskets looked good so i used some seafoam on it and in the gas tank. now i got it to run but now the water pumps when in neutral and a low idle now when i put it in gear it doesn't pump any water at all and looks like its going to overheat so i shut it off

Well I replaced the impeller and its still not spitting much water. Any ideas what it could be now

I had a similar problem. Make sure the water return line is connected securely inside the housing to the bottom of the motor. Also, pull the hose from the outlet and check that water runs freely. If it does clear the outlet with something small like a needle or a pen.

When you run the motor at home is the cowling off?
You might have an exhaust leak.

Try running it on the lake with out the cowling. It may be sucking exhaust up from the mid section thru a bad gasket

It was the hose. It was clogged so I unclogged it, now its spitting just fine thanks for the help so far guys I'm new to boat motors. :(

So I took it fishing yesterday and it was running fine but seemed like it was trying to rev higher in forward but wouldn't, but when you put it in reverse it would go much faster than in forward. Any ideas what could be causing that?

I bought a 6HP Johnson Sailmaster and I had the same problem.I found that when the throttle gets turned to far a plastic cam breaks.This cam sets the spark advance.Mine was broken(looks like a U with a roller on it. I fixed mine by using plastic epoxy to fill in the U.Been working fine since.