1959 johnson 5.5hp Help!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddster88

Reaction score
Newly registered member to the forum here, but long time lurker. love this site! I have recently acquired 1959 johnson 5.5hp and the original pressure tank that came with it. everything looks to be in excellent condition. it sat in a garage for a year or 2, so before I even pulled the rope I tore apart the carb and rebuilt it. I tore the lower unit off, changed the impeller and lower unit oil. I also dug into th ignition and replaced everything as well. I started her up and after a while of pullin, she started up. water seemed to be comin out the pee hole pretty good, but after about a minute or 2 it idled really high and the power head seemed to get really hott, too hott to touch, so I shut it down immeditely. im fairley new to outboards, but i read somewhere that it shouldn get that hott? so i pulled the plugs and the bottom plug seemed kinda wet, while the top was fine. so i decided to replace the head gasket, thermostat and therm gasket. i figured that there may have been blockage somewhere around those parts. So i just fired her up again and its doing the same thing? except it fired a little easier and the bottom plug was significantly less wet than the first time around. im confused! i dont know what to do next, boating season is almost here in PA and im not going to have a motor! i read somewhere that the water tube may not be lined up right from when i put the lower unit back on, could this be true? should i tear the exhaust side cover off, replace the gasket and make sure its not clogged too? im kinda stumped an any insight would be appreciated!!!

I know I put the pin back in I made sure of that. But the water isn't coming out to that extent in the video. It's more smoke/exhaust than water. Oh yea dis I mention it's smoking very much? Hope I can get this thing runnin. I'll pull the lower unit back off tomorrow and see whats going on down there I guess

When the idle jumped up, did you have any troble shutting it down? Do a google search on "thermal runaway".

Not to steer you away from Tinboats but heres a link with TONS of valuable info about these old motors...

https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

thanks for the responses guys. Ok so I tore it all back apart today. I took the exhaust cover n gaskets and cleaned it out real good. Tore the lower unit back apart and checked it all over and it's all like it's supposed to be...I think. Are you supposed to do anything more extensive than just puttin in the new impeller and puttin it back together? Well I cleaned all the water passages out to and found a little blockage. Put it back together and started fine and pumped water for about a minute and the head was nice and cool, then all of a sudden just stopped pumping water and started to get hot so I shut her down. I'm getting frustrated now. I really dunno what to do. I read somewhere about puttin the impeller in with some dish soap so it primes the pump? Should I seal the pump with silicon too? I didn't change the plate in there either