Leaking fuel tank gasket

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
I have a 77 9.9 I'm trying to get started. It sounds like air is going to the fuel pump when I try to pump up the fuel bulb. The bulb doesn't get firm. It seems to have a leak around the connection on the fuel tank. The gasket around the whole assembly where it attaches to the tank is leaking and seems to be seeping fuel. Would this be causing my problem? Thanks Todd

Make sure hose is tight (connector to fuel tank), some times the connection isn't good and they will leak. One way to check is remove the connector from the hose nearest to the tank and stick hose in the tank through the filler hole. Pump bulb, should get hard real fast. If it doesn't replace hose. bulb, and connector. If it does get hard replace the fittings that go into tank. Make sure you get the right ones. Had the same trouble you did the gas was coming out of the fitting on the tank. Found out that when I bought the fittings at Wally World, they looked like the right fittings but were for a different motor. Mine was a Johnson and the fitting was for a different brand. Replaced fitting with right fitting and problem went away.