Free motor, well almost

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard

Reaction score
I was given a 1996 2-stroke Evinrude 15 HP. It looks clean and was told it was up and running and well kept. Less then 100 hours. Took it out today for the first time. Started right up but here is my problem. Seemed to get up to 40% of its speed and then the motors rpm would countine to increase but not my speed. I guess this is happening when a load is put on it. If it was a car I would describe it as the clutch was slipping or not grabbing. I have a 1648 and no the motor is undersized but it feels like something else. I can tell it has been near or ran in salt water. Any help would be appreciated..

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 1,205
You should put a mark on the hub and on the prop. Take the boat for a run then check to see if the marks still line up.

my 9.9 started acting like it was going into neutral under load. the rubber bushing had degraded. the shaft comes out your lower unit a brass peice fits over the splines then a peice of hard rubber is molded to that, then pressed into the prop.
i bought the rubber bushing and tried to press it in with a hydralic press and part of the inner prop shatterd. i ended up just buying a new prop with it already in it.

I think I will just replace my prop since it looks to be the original. I took it off and it looks ok but I can not simulate the stress. Mine seems to be doing what yours (200racing) is doing. Marking it is a great idea.

You guys can call me crazy, I am an outboard jet guy so I could be wrong but shouldn't the prop be a little farther down. It kinda looks like it is a short shaft motor on a long shaft boat.
Me and my uncle have done the same thing witha 9.9 evinrude short shaft. We got the motor running and we put it on the back of a boat with a 20" transom just to see if it was running right and it would take of and go good until it started to try to plane out and it couldn't because the motor started to cavitate or slip. We knew it was the wrong motor and boat combo, it just gave us something fun to do for the day.

Lil' Blue Rude said:
You guys can call me crazy, I am an outboard jet guy so I could be wrong but shouldn't the prop be a little farther down. It kinda looks like it is a short shaft motor on a long shaft boat.
Me and my uncle have done the same thing witha 9.9 evinrude short shaft. We got the motor running and we put it on the back of a boat with a 20" transom just to see if it was running right and it would take of and go good until it started to try to plane out and it couldn't because the motor started to cavitate or slip. We knew it was the wrong motor and boat combo, it just gave us something fun to do for the day.

I agree looks to high and the symptoms described could likely be a result of the prop cavitating

Lil' Blue Rude said:

Definitely a cavitation problem. Short motor, 15" shaft, on a 20" transom.

No not crazy, that's why I posted the pic. It was ran on a 1436 the weekend before withouth problem. My boat is a 1648. I will have that transom measured on the 1436. Mine is a 20" transom and this is a short shaft motor. Here are some more pics.

Extension kit sounds expensive. New prop sounds trial and error. Cutting transom might be my best bet if its not a spun hub.

Attachments

• IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 1,132
  • IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,132
  • IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 1,132
Many on here have rigged several boats. I've probably rigged more than most. Even if you have a spun prop, and replace it, it won't correct the recommended procedure for rigging that short shaft engine on a boat that requires a long shaft motor.

See if you can borrow a prop that you know is good, to satisfy yourself that we know what we're talking about.

Nice motor and free at that.
Would the person who gave it to you mind if you sold/traded it for a long shaft outboard?
I know that make kicker brackets that can hold a 15hp or maybe you can get one fabed up.
That being said a 15hp on a 1648 is kinda small but maybe thats what you have to use?

Would the person who gave it to you mind if you sold/traded it for a long shaft outboard?
I know that make kicker brackets that can hold a 15hp or maybe you can get one fabed up.
That being said a 15hp on a 1648 is kinda small but maybe thats what you have to use?

I might trade for it. I know it is undersized but freebe and I don't go far on the water. Kicker bracket does not work , would need to make a custom one. Much easier for me to cut transom and cap. First I need to be 100% the prop is not spun.

I think you could trade that for an older rude or johnson 25hp tiller. That's waht you need on that jon imo.

Understood, however I jump from Yargo, Bear Creek, Lanier all the time. On Lanier I don't go far from the ramp I launch that particular day so 15 is enough. 25 is too big for Yargo and no gas motors allowed at BC. A 15 allows me to take it off and on with ease. Kinda fits my style of fishing. I'm thinking I just need 2 boats :)

Howard said:
I think you could trade that for an older rude or johnson 25hp tiller. That's waht you need on that jon imo.

Understood, however I jump from Yargo, Bear Creek, Lanier all the time. On Lanier I don't go far from the ramp I launch that particular day so 15 is enough. 25 is too big for Yargo and no gas motors allowed at BC. A 15 allows me to take it off and on with ease. Kinda fits my style of fishing. I'm thinking I just need 2 boats :)

The 15 is not legal at Yargo. Must be under 10hp at all state parks in GA.

Latest posts