6h johnson rewind starter pinion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

57texasmaid

Reaction score
Hello all,
First time posting! I've spent many hrs so far on this site, loads of ideas and helpfull info!! Been a boater for years with family and friends. Although this is my first real "boat" to own. Its a 1957 Texasmaid Osprey. Not the best looker now, but it was really cheap! (co-worker gave it to me!) said he wanted it to get fixed up and used by some one who would! No dents and no leaks. Just needs some TLC. I've taken pics along the way and I'm almost there. I'm plaing a total post from start to finish pics and descriptions! Its a total redue from cutting out front and addding decks front and rear to floors built in livewell and spray lined interior!

Well on to my question, it has a 1971 Johnson 6hp motor, I just repalced water pump in lower unit, rebuilt carb and repalced the little plastic pinion gear on the rewind starter. After so many pulls on the starter, the flywheel chews the teeth off of the pinion (witch is the reason I replaced it) At $30.00 a pop with shiping, I'd like not to have to repalce them this often (I only pulled it like 20 times!!!!) When you pull, it slides up and engauges with flywheel to turn engine over. The only thing I can figure is that the whole starter is moving away from flywheel just enough to slip and damage gear. There is some movement in it but no adjustment??

Has any one :?: :?: had or seen this issue before? Fixes?? ideas?? Any help would be awsome! Thanks !!

You have two bushings, a bearing head, and a spool. Any combination of those or all could be worn and creating your issue. Sounds like you are adept at changing the pinion, go a little deeper and see where the most play is and replace the part(s)!

There's a small, about a 1/4" post that comes up under the starter head, next to the carb. Is that in place?

That hollow post needs to be in place, also go easy when you pull the cord, short strokes without slack. BTW 30 bucks is too much for that, I bought the very same thing last Year (same Year) for 18 dollars at Iboats.

Well I'm going to try to inspect a little deeper into it today if I get a little slow at work, checked on parts with boats.net they offer the bushings but the spools discontinued! Johnson also offered a complete Starter assembly at one time but as per boats.net it's discontinued too :(. So hope its just a bushing, if not well I guess I'll just keep pinions on hand or a pull rope to wrap around the flywheel.....

Just checked out there site, and no luck:( spools discontinued along with the complete assb. Thanks for the site info that's a great site!

57texasmaid said:
Just checked out there site, and no luck:( spools discontinued along with the complete assb. Thanks for the site info that's a great site!

Hey 57tesasmaid,

Check this link at marineengine.com. It has parts diagram of the rewind starter for your motor and pricing as well. There are even available parts for what you are looking for or at least that is what is displayed. Good luck!

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1971&hp=6&model=6R71E&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Rewind+Starter

Latest posts