1990 15 HP Merc...............How much Pee?? lol

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipse507

Reaction score
I'm new to out boards, I recently purchased my first outboard, and I'm not sure, how much, water it is supposed to be pumping. I started it up, using a trash can as the water basin, and it seemed to just trickle at idle. How much is supposed to be coming out?? What should I be looking for??

Thanks!

At idle as long as its a steady stream your ok.If you don't know when the last time the impeller was changed it should be changed to be on the safe side.

I had a 15hp mercy and even on a brand new impeller it would kind of "glug" out but would be steady. mercs seem to have wide tubes and openings so the stream isn't thin and pressurized like other makes.

Last year I bought, and later sold, a boat that had my first Mercury on it. I was very worried that the pee stream didn't equal that of my former and present Johnsons Yamahas etc.

It took forever to get the pee stream going. Consulting with my favorite mechanic, he explained that Mercs have to warm up their thermostat before much of anything comes out. I always worried about it...but...after a minute or two, the pee stream came out and looked very much like the ones on the other motors.

Just took some getting used to, that is for sure. My current Johnson and Yamaha 40s spit a stream out instantly. Rich

crazymanme2 said:
At idle as long as its a steady stream your ok.If you don't know when the last time the impeller was changed it should be changed to be on the safe side.

How do you change the impeller?? I am familiar with stearn drives, but don't know where to start with outboards.

Similar to sterns but a whole lot easier.Lower usually comes off with a few bolts.A manual for your motor is good if you never done one before.

Latest posts