Help needed for Evirude 6HP - around 70's

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacquesDEMAN

Reaction score
Hello, everyone,
I first have to apologize for my broken English, I'am FRENCH.
I couldn't find any piece of information on French forums.
So, I've been given an old Evinrude Fisherman model, 6 HP, twin, 2 stoke. Looks like being 70's model. Serial Number is 61036 B14736, but couldn't find anything matching.
Anyway it looks exactly like this:
https://www.smalloutboards.com/e669...French/broken English pen partner is welcome.

jacquesDEMAN said:
Hello, everyone,
I first have to apologize for my broken English, I'am FRENCH.
I couldn't find any piece of information on French forums.
So, I've been given an old Evinrude Fisherman model, 6 HP, twin, 2 stoke. Looks like being 70's model. Serial Number is 61036 B14736, but couldn't find anything matching.
Anyway it looks exactly like this:
https://www.smalloutboards.com/e669...ts. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Your English is better than some I have seen in here so not to worry on that issue!
Spark should jump a 1/4" or at least a 6mm gap. You say you have fuel leaking from the intake of the carburetor (am guessing based on your statement). Probable cause is a float that is saturated and no longer floating or the float and needle are stuck open in the carb. Disassemble the carb completely and throroughly clean it, paying special attention to the small orifices and passageways. Use compressed air in each passage if available or a small diameter piece of soft wire and go through each tube and passage. Reassemble with a new carburetor kit including float. Your initial carb settings will be 1.5 turns from closed on the low speed (idle) needle and around 1 turn from closed on the high speed needle if you have one on that engine. See if the engine starts and if so let it warm up and slowly close the low speed needle until the engine slows down then back it back out around 1/4 turn. Always run the engine either in the waterway or in a container deep enough to where the waterline is above the lower mounts to insure you have adequate water supply to the water pump. You should, at the minimum, change your impeller in the water pump and purchase coils, spark plugs, points, and condensors wherever you can over there as I am pretty sure you will need them. Old coils have a nasty habit of breaking down when they get warm. Let us know how it goes! The 6hp Evinrudes and Johnsons were wonderful running and long lasting engines. Another website you can gain valuable information on that engine is aomci.org. Go there then to the ask a member section if you need more information than you are capable of getting elsewhere.

Hi there!
Thank you very much for your quick and wise answers.
I'm waiting to get some US standards tools.
Soon as I get them, I will go ahead with dismantling the carburettor.
Then, I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again, and I'll be back soon.
Kindest regards,
Jacques