Testimonial. My Johnson 9.9

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbakerinc

Reaction score
Well the story starts out with me buying a 1963 Larson bubble windshield run-a-bout with a Johnson 100.

I bought this boat for $200 boat motor trailer. Never really did much with it. It just kinda sat around.

Then I got my 14A Sea Nymph, Believe me it was super fun just cruising around on the all electric lakes but....

So I got the idea I would put up the Larson for trade for a 9.9 or 15hp. Didn't really expect much.

Fast forward 3 year. THAT IS BY FAR THE BEST TRADE I HAVE EVER MADE IN MY LIFE.

I got a '87 Johnson Sea Horse 9.9 electric start long shaft. That thing is a tank.I hate to admit it but I have NEVER winterized it and it starts up NO ISSUES every spring. Runs like a top.

I have learned this winter from you tin boaters that I need to take better care of my equipment. I changed the lower gearcase oil this morning.A little dirty but no water no metal fragments nothing. just good dirty oil. Sea Foamed it changed the plugs and that thing never ceases to amaze me.

I dont know. I just wanted to share..

Didn't see you mention anything about water pump impeller?When was the last time it was replaced?Sounds like your on the right track.

The Johnson and Evinrude 9.9 and 15s were some of the best engines ever produced as evidenced by the sheer multitudes of them sold and still running today. Basis designs didn't change much and improvements and changes were made as technology advanced. Pretty much bulletproof little engines! Too bad the EPA got involved in an industry that uses less than 1/10th of 1% of the fuel used in this country otherwise they may still be in production today.

crazymanme2 said:
Didn't see you mention anything about water pump impeller?When was the last time it was replaced?Sounds like your on the right track.

never changed. Pee's long and strong..lol Oh I thought I would do her justice so I polished and waxed the top cover as well.

Your impeller may have the last laugh!
What crazymanme means on the impeller is that it should be changed as a preventative measure. Old impellers may work but they have a very good chance of failing due to age in a heartbeat. The vanes have taken a set and the material is deteriorating. Much cheaper to do that than repair an overheated powerhead.

Pappy said:
Your impeller may have the last laugh!
What crazymanme means on the impeller is that it should be changed as a preventative measure. Old impellers may work but they have a very good chance of failing due to age in a heartbeat. The vanes have taken a set and the material is deteriorating. Much cheaper to do that than repair an overheated powerhead.

I got ya. How hard is that to change??

I see there are kits with all the seals and all the goodies. Would that be a better choice than just a new impeller???

like this one.
https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/BPI12050/OB-OMCWP

any tinboat sponsors or anything? guy that are good to deal with? Made in the USA parts?

would this be the optimal time to get a short driveshaft to convert???

Tons of excellent information for your motor!!!!! Click on the link!!

https://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/OMC/OMC%20info.htm

Good luck!!

No need for a kit, just get an impeller from your local marine dealer. They cost about 13.00 for your engine. Easy to replace too. Check out the link posted above for instructions. I've changed two now, first one took me about 25 minutes, second one less than ten.

mtnwkr said:
No need for a kit, just get an impeller from your local marine dealer. They cost about 13.00 for your engine. Easy to replace too. Check out the link posted above for instructions. I've changed two now, first one took me about 25 minutes, second one less than ten.

Can't make that claim without seeing the condition of the cup and the lower plate. If either are grooved from sand then the overall efficiency is hindered from the start. As the new impeller wears and takes a set it becomes worse. If I see grooves in either or both the cup and plate I replace the complete pump for piece of mind. Compared to a toasted powerhead thats smart cheap money! As for where to get the pump I would suggest your local dealer. Always nice to support them and help keep them in business wherever possible.

Well I am the type of person that if it is apart I will replace everything for about $20 more. Do it once and do it right.

Latest posts