Random outboard question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcollinsia

Reaction score
I took my old lund out on Wednesday and before launching my buddy helped me rig it to go. After backing off the trailer the motor kills on me and I notice that the gas hose is on backwards. After reconnecting it the proper direction I gave it a few pumps until it restarted for a couple of moments and killed out. After countless times trying to restart her, she just wasnt going to go. It would turn over just fine but wouldnt start. I enjoy walking my dogs but walking my boat upstream along the shoreline isn't my idea of fun!

So last night I was bored and went out and tried cranking her over and she started up no problem at all....interesting. I'm assuming that after I reconnected the hose properly I just flooded the motor. Do you guys think that's a fair assumption? What happens when the gas hose is on backwards? Does it pump residual gas out of the motor?

Yeah, I suppose that would have helped. Whoops. It's an older Chrysler 9.9hp 2-stroke with electric start.

Putting the hose on backwards does not suck the gas from the motor, there is a ball in the primer bulb on the fuel like that allows fuel flow one way only. It is possible it flooded, but I would say let it run on the hose a little and see if it runs out of gas again on the trailer, if not put it in the water at the dock and see what happens after it idles for a little while, see if it happens again.

Bufford

there maybe a chance that the check valve in the primer bulb got stuck or age effecting it to function correctly.

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I'm going to replace that whole line just to be safe and then I'll try taking your advice RBufford & running her a while to see if she kills out. Hopefully it was just some fluke accident.

Latest posts