Stiff Throttle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyckr

Reaction score
Hello All. I've got a question reguarding my 1985 Suzuki 9.9. My CAM throttle, that sits under the starter, is very hard to turn. It seems to be gunked up. How can I go about lubricating it, so that it is easier to throttle up and down, without causing electical damage? Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    580.3 KB · Views: 467
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    399.4 KB · Views: 467
Not an "expert" on your brand of engine by a long shot but...........I would first try and isolate what is actually binding on the mechanism. You either have a throttle cable, driven by the twist grip on the throttle handle or a set of gears driven by the same. Disconnect the cable or gear connection where ever it connects to the mag plate assembly (what you are calling the throttle cam) and see if it is the cable or gear assembly or the mag assembly that is binding. Go from there.

Thanks Pappy. I've already disconnected all tha cables. They aren't the culprets. My parts manual has that black "mag assembly" listed as a "CAM throttle????" I'm a newbie to outboards. When I push it back and forth it is pretty hard to move. So hard that the cables are struggling to push or pull it. It does move but it just seems like it's a caked up in there. Since it sits under the starter, I'm concerned if I spray a lubricant up in there, I might foul something up.

Spray it with CRC and that should do the trick - will not gunk it up and will likely clean it out.

If it loosens, then each year hit it with a dab of White Lithium grease

Latest posts