Boat pulls to the right. Prop the issue?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jclick

Reaction score
I've got a 14' v-hull with a 25HP. The problem I am having is the boat pulls to the right. It's a constant wrestling match with the motor while going down the creek. When I first got the boat, the trim tab came loose and fell off while the motor was running and knocked a chunk off of the prop. I've since gotten new trim tab and have adjusted but ways. That helped some but it still pulls. Could the chip in the prop be causing this? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 818
jclick said:
I've got a 14' v-hull with a 25HP. The problem I am having is the boat pulls to the right. It's a constant wrestling match with the motor while going down the creek. When I first got the boat, the trim tab came loose and fell off while the motor was running and knocked a chunk off of the prop. I've since gotten new trim tab and have adjusted but ways. That helped some but it still pulls. Could the chip in the prop be causing this? Thanks for the help.

I don't think the prop would cause the motor to pull right, but I would replace that prop pretty quick, I still think the trim tab needs to be adjusted some more

Good way to tear up a lower unit with a prop like that. [-o<

I'm surprised that you don't feel some vibration.

You should be able to adjust your trim tab for prop torque.

If it pulls to the right the trim tab has to be adjusted to the right. Also the angle of engine trim has alot to do with which way an engine will pull. Trimmed all the way down the lower propeller blade will be the leading blade and the engine will pull one way, trim the engine up and it becomes neutral toque then add more trim and the upper propeller blade is the leading blade and you will begin to feel steering torque in the opposite direction. Make sense? Same as a propeller driven aircraft for those of us who fly. In an aircraft it is called the "P" factor.

Pappy,
That makes sense. Since I'm in the boat a lot by myself, I lowered the motor down so that it will plane out better. I guess it will take some tweaking on both the trim tab and the angle of the motor to get it right.