going from gas to electric

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

back4more

Reaction score
thinking about ditching my 5 horse Nissan 4 stroke for a 50 or 55 lb thrust trolling motor. I know my speed will probably go from about 12-13 mph to 3, maybe 4.

cons for gas power
* I fish small saltwater creeks so I dont need something to get me far
* Ive been stranded twice (but Im pretty sure I fixed the problem)
* I fish 90% saltwater so I have to flush the motor very often
* gas isnt getting cheaper

pros for electric
* sneak up on the fishies
* no need to buy gas & stabill
* nice quiet, relaxing ride

now even though I would still be going in saltwater 90% of the time, I would buy a freshwater trolling motor. I know its not advised, but Ive also read where most people have had no issues with using a FW motor in SW.

has anyone made a similar switch and have any input ?

thanks

I never made the switch ( nor would I )...but certainly have used FW trolling motors in the salt. I can't justify 2 or 3 times the cost to have a TM last a few extra years.

I rarely keep my boats past 3 or 4 yrs. If a cheap TM rusted out, I'd replace it with another cheap TM. If you elect to keep your "big" motor, you can probably get by fine with a 40 lb. TM. I do with my two 16 footers.

From what I've seen, the electronics are all sealed. The supporting hardware could be replaced with Stainless Steel. You could then get away with another couple of years before anything would break down.

I can't imagine being without a real engine to get me where I go, though. Even though I only boat within a half mile or so my launch.

When the SW wind gets up, I wouldn't count on any trolling motor getting me back home against the breeze, especially if I had been running it all day. I had a kayak/canoe for a while. Paddling against that wind, even with a sleek, low craft gave me a true appreciation of the forces at work.

I can't buy your argument about gas costing too much. Not with a 5 hp engine. I had a 9.9 and could go a whole season on a tank of gas..since, like you, I never traveled that far from the launch site.

As far as flushing the engine, I agree wholeheartedly. It is a PIA to drag the boat home; flush, and THEN drag it back to my boat barn every time. When I fish FW, I just drive straight to the barn and drop her off. Saves me 45 minutes or so, just when I am usually pretty tired anyways. Some guys, who fish salt all of the time, don't flush their engines at all. I always do and always will, but...some say it doesn't matter at all. regards, Rich

p.s. Where are you?

Do it!!! Then sell me your motor...

Even if you don't sell me your motor, I'll tell you that going from gas to electric is a decision that's very important based on what type water and weather you like to go out in....I was always used to a gas powered boat growing up, now that I fish on lakes that are largely HP restricted or electric only, I rarely miss gas. Recently, I made the mistake of going out in windy weather (gusts up to 70 mph #-o ) and I really missed that gas power...If you only plan on going out in rougher water (as SW tends to be), you should really consider the consequences of wind or heavy current...I love electric, but I will never go back out on the Potomac in questionable weather again with it.

Like mentioned above,tides,current and being able to go alittle faster would be a good reason(for me) to keep an gas outboard,especially in salt water.
Although the tides up here are close to 17 feet,maybe yours are alot smaller,still currents and wind can make a trolling motor seem real small.
If you go the electric route,your probably going to want atleast 2 batteries,to get a good amount of time on the water.
Then your still going to have to charge them,so theres still up keep.
Not saying this is good but alot of clammers and wormers never take there boats out of salt water.
I would keep the outboard and buy a trolling motor...best of both worlds.

I go electric only for a lake around here, its small and I can get anywhere in it in less than 10 minutes with a #30 thrust. I used to use only the trolling motor on the 10hp limit lake I like, one day I left the 15hp at home and got caught in rain, that was fine until it started to lightning, that was a very long 25 minutes back to the ramp. The rest of that summer the 15hp was on the back of the boat just in case, and I got a 6hp for that lake this year.

I do still like it when I go on the small lake, faster than rowing, lighter boat, less to worry about, quiet, just turn the handle and go, but the shore/ramp is always close.

Zum said:
If you go the electric route,your probably going to want atleast 2 batteries,to get a good amount of time on the water.

I run a 55 HP Prowler from BPS that I run on a deep cycle marine battery that I can get 12 hours out of running all over the lakes around here...it depends on how long you go out at a time....I'd definitely consider this one too btw based on my experience with these motors:
https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Prowler-T55/36-Saltwater-Transom-Mount-Trolling-Motor/product/10217260/-1688578

richg99 said:
p.s. Where are you?

Jacksonville Florida

I wouldnt mind having my 5 horse AND a 55 lb TM, but Im very limited on space, not to mention funds. my plan would be to sell the 5 horse (its a 2000, 4 stroke) for maybe $650 if lucky and use the funds to buy the 55 lb TM, good battery and wire it up right by extending the battery cable, adding quick disconnect for the battery cable, and maybe add a bigfoot.

the spots I like to fish are narrow saltwater creeks, never more than 50 or 60 feet wide, and that includes from launch area to wherever I stop to fish.

if I were smart I would ditch the electric idea and enjoy the gas advantages. if ..... if .... if only I were smart [-o<

one100grand said:
Zum said:

I run a 55 HP Prowler from BPS that I run on a deep cycle marine battery that I can get 12 hours out of running all over the lakes around here...it depends on how long you go out at a time....I'd definitely consider this one too btw based on my experience with these motors:
https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Prowler-T55/36-Saltwater-Transom-Mount-Trolling-Motor/product/10217260/-1688578
I realize if your fishing,going slow/taking your time it might last 12 hours.(how many AH on your battery)
If your wanting to go 3-4mph(full tilt)your not going to last that long; at 50amps draw.
It sounded like he wanted to explore here and there(fish) and by the time you get too far away and the wind picks up,running back to the ramp against the tide/current in a rain storm with a half dead battery,doesn't sound like a good time.I'd be wishing for a outboard.
ps: I know it' a bad scenario but possible.

Zum said:
one100grand said:
Zum said:

I realize if your fishing,going slow/taking your time it might last 12 hours.(how many AH on your battery)
If your wanting to go 3-4mph(full tilt)your not going to last that long; at 50amps draw.
It sounded like he wanted to explore here and there(fish) and by the time you get too far away and the wind picks up,running back to the ramp against the tide/current in a rain storm with a half dead battery,doesn't sound like a good time.I'd be wishing for a outboard.
ps: I know it' a bad scenario but possible.

The lake I fish on regularly is several coves that are somewhat spread out, so I do end up running it all out a fair bit during the day...I completely agree with you that I would never want to get into a spot (again) where I'd be in any water with tide/current/wind and not consider myself to be completely safe.