2001 Yamaha 50 Choke solenoid

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck in nc

Reaction score
I have been lurking here a while now. Very cool site! 8)

Got the fever bad this spring and I bought a 2002 Crestliner 1754 with a 50HP Yamaha 2-stroke. The motor runs good but does not choke with the key push.

I can pull the cowling, manually swing the choke, turn the key and it starts right up. I turn the choke off, let it run a few minutes and it runs fine the rest of the day. I don't usually need the choke after that since the motor never completely cools off.

I would like to troubleshoot the problem but don't know where the solenoid is mounted or whether there is a solenoid in place. I looked at it a few minutes ago and saw something with a blue and pink wire running to it that was located adjacent to the choke mechanism.

I have multimeters and can troubleshoot electrical but don't know what I'm looking for here.

Should I buy a repair manual, and if so, can you please recommend a good one? Or does anyone know where the solenoid is located along with wire colors,etc that I can use to figure out whether there is a wiring problem, a fuse, or a solenoid problem?

Chuck

albright1695 said:
Very interested in this post myself. We have the same boat and engine! Where you at in NC?

I'm in Rocky Mount.

Do you have a similar problem with the choke?

I like the boat a lot though I may tweak a few things. Is yours still original configuration?

sorry i dont have an answer to your question im just posting to represent NC, lol winston salem here

Chuckinnc,if you find any good info on this issue,please post. Probably gonna need to replace mine soon. On another note you NC guys should check out CNCBA if you are interested in competing in any bass tourneys. Lots of good guys and most are tinboats.net members.

What you have is an "Enricher" solenoid. When cold it has a passageway open that allows a small amount of additional fuel flow to each idle circuit. As it warms the circuit slowly closes until you are running on the normal air/fuel ratio you have set by making the adjustments with your idle adjustment screws.

Just curious if I may ask. What did you pay for your boat? I found an 03 with a 50hp Merc. Boat, motor and trailer are showroom new. Just trying to get an idea on what to offer the seller. I have my ideas but...

Thanks

Latest posts